Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided I wanted to give homebrew powdercoating a shot :D

I had read in a few automotive paint books about how easy to use some of the new kits are. They aren't kidding.

I was kind of expecting to get mediocre results and a difficult to use system judging by price alone (I picked up the gun from Harbor Freight on sale for $70, and a few pints of powder for about $5/each). Wow what a great deal this thing is. I literally hooked the kit up and pointed it at the part, pulled the trigger, stepped on the foot pedal and the thing was fully coated in almost one pass with basically no thought involved. Point, shoot, done. The stuff just clings right to the part. I haven't had this much fun with a new toy since I got my TIG welder :)

Photos of my setup and first shoot here:

http://www.mswanson.com/images/?mode=album&album=misc/tools/powder_coating

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Wow, great to know...now...is that hypothetically my wife's stove in one of those pictures?? :eek:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not if you expect to sleep in the same bed at night :)

The fumes from the curing process are toxic... I wouldn't recommend using an oven you plan on cooking any food in.

You could probably get away with it (I just went out and sniffed the oven after cookin my first part, the smell isn't very noticable) though if you were sneaky. I won't ask you how good you are at that 8)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
a4kquattro said:
Not if you expect to sleep in the same bed at night :)

The fumes from the curing process are toxic... I wouldn't recommend using an oven you plan on cooking any food in.

You could probably get away with it (I just went out and sniffed the oven after cookin my first part, the smell isn't very noticable) though if you were sneaky. I won't ask you how good you are at that 8)
:lol:

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts

Perhaps a respirator is in order? :p

Looks good tho, got any pics of the finished product? I've got a spare oven dying to become a plastibakewhore :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Plastibakewhore.......HAHAHA I bet your funny when you drink .Or are you drinking now? Coming to the party on Sat?
:wink:

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
G*D D(*#*[email protected](*@$NIT, I want a garage! This apartment living is for the birds. That's quite the setup you have going Marc, TIG welder, Powder coater, I'm jealous. Way cool.

Nate, I'm with Aaron, I think we need to throw a few back sometime and create some mischief. We'd need Wiz as well to enlighten us with his Carribean/Cannadian? sayings. Pikes Peak would be pretty convenient for me :wink:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, sorry for that extra hit on your credit card! :bullshits:

Pics of the finished product:

The quality is very nice. I'll hit it with a little more powder next time since some of the areas around corners are a little thin on powder, but hardly noticeable. Not bad for my first attempt!

Nice thing is, you can always add more powder after the part has cured. In fact, I shot that piece over the factory black coating (I bought the part new).

Time to go shopping for more powder! Nate, I'm glad you already sourced your trademark neon green :)

We should setup your car, Huw's yellow coupe, and my 4ktq in a row for the stoplight effect :p

And hey, what's the fun of a respirator? My Car is red, my welder is red, why not my lungs? :bashtard:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
audifreakjim said:
G*D D(*#*[email protected](*@$NIT, I want a garage! This apartment living is for the birds. That's quite the setup you have going Marc, TIG welder, Powder coater, I'm jealous. Way cool.
I feel your pain Jim, I lived in an apartment for a little while after I got out of college. I couldn't stand it, I always wanted to work on my projects and that would usually mean putting my tools in a box and trying to work on my car with a flashlight tucked under my arm while I tried to turn wrenches.

It didn't take long for me to start looking at houses for rent, minimum 2 car garage :D

Nate, I'm with Aaron, I think we need to throw a few back sometime and create some mischief. We'd need Wiz as well to enlighten us with his Carribean/Cannadian? sayings. Pikes Peak would be pretty convenient for me :wink:
Nate's the man. I've been at his apartment a few times to go autocrossin'. Always an ample supply of Mike's Hard Lemonade in stock. Pike's peak sounds very tempting....

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Marc, good stuff buddy.

Pikes Peak, yes, I'm down, I came out a few years ago (had lunch with Jim to boot), if a few of you commit I'll go, when is it this year, some time in June? Love seeing that semi fly up the MT :p

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Plastibakewhore.......HAHAHA I bet your funny when you drink .Or are you drinking now? Coming to the party on Sat?
:wink:

Aaron
I'm not as think as you drunk I am ociffer.

Actually I rarely drink to the point of stupid, I think I just start out a lot closer than most :p

As for Sat, no way I'll be able to make it, the other 90 has a list of things I'm fixing as well (no brakes, needs radiator, rear muffler, ebrake, fuel leak, lighting/wiring work, rear tailgate, and the list goes on...)

So have a
on me 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts