Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, just wanting some feedback. if i install a type 44 trans and diff with the 3.89 gears in my 4kq, and had a custom one piece driveshaft made up, do you think i might have any vibration issues? I'm just curious why audi used the center support in the first place?
my conclusion about any vibrations would be that if measured properly it would function just the same as a CV axle, just with significantly less motion. I am planning on making some near solid tranny/diff mounts, so that should help.

# B. how many of you guys have to replace your center supports regularly? or do you just ignore it like i am currently doing?

I have come come up with a design that should work dynamite for strength and longevity wise of the center support, that as soon as i get the chance, I will be doing my best to make and test thoroughly, if it's a success, i may have my very own first product.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Have you looked into swapping just the gears from the diffs?

This is what I plan on doing to make a rear diff in my 90q, WAY less work and hassle than cramming the huge 5ktq diff in there. I think I posted pictures on this subject way back in one of the first threads here, lemme see.... hmm, can't find anything, must be imagining it. :oops:

Ahh, but here they are already saved on my computer, huh, anyway take a looksee:

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
What I'm getting at is that the actuall gear and pinion is all intercahngable, the t44's just have an extension stuck on there. So that gear set should in theory drop right in to the t85 rear case, then check for tolerances and shim as neccessary per the bentley.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah nate, we did talk about this before, and I tried to find the post, but i guess it got deleted or something.
I keep meaning to get out to the wrecking yard and disassemble the two quattros sitting next to each other, one is a 4kq the other is a 100q, and compare parts, then i know where a 200q is and ideally i'd go and disassemble that one and rob the ring and pinion, stick it in my car along with a 200q tranny.
then no driveshaft /diff change needed, yes, i know. if i get the chance i'll try to do it this week or next and post a follow up.
just to make sure, your parts list is for a 80q, and the 80q and 4kq rear diffs are the same, correct?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
derracuda said:
just to make sure, your parts list is for a 80q, and the 80q and 4kq rear diffs are the same, correct?
Ayuh

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cuatrokoop said:
The 100q should be using an 01A trans with 4.11's as well (assuming it is a 10v).
i do know the 100 uses 4:11.1. i just would rather tear one of those apart then a perfectly good 200 diff, incase the gears don't interchange and end up putting in the whole 200 diff assembly.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Also, about the propshaft. You'll severly limit the max frequency it can safely obtain by removing a node. Not to mention you'd have to get it balanced so it didn't wobble.

Sure, you remove weight, but w/out running some calc's first I'd steer clear of it for now.

Can always try to score one of the carbon shafts found in the 90.5+ B3 cars that have an airbag.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's not the weight i'm worried about at all.
also, i'd have the shaft proffesionally made.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Professional doesn't always mean it is correct. A professional blew my engine...

They have to make sure they do not get near the natural frequency, and get it balanced properly. Weight and diameter also affect the nat. freq along with the distance between nodes.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, driveline service of portland(OR) has been around for a while and they balanced the shaft in my moms 93 500sel about two and a half years ago, and trust me my dad puts that thing through its paces, if there was going to be a problem it probably would have occured alreadysince it's been about 50k.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey would an 88 100q have a torsen center diff? and if it did (I'm assuming that is an 01A tranny), would that torsen fit into an 016?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, bummer here. today my dad and i went out to wrecking yard to try swapping gears from a 87 5kqt into a 4kq diff housing like was previously talked about. well, no can do. seems the everything looks good until you get the type 44 pinion out. it has a nut that clears the splined section(behind the splines) to be able to set preload on the gears. the 4kq diff has the nut for preload on the end (in front of the splines) and holds the propshaft flange on as well.

it stinks for me, but oh well, at least i planned on swapping a type 44 diff in anyway, it doesn't look to be too bad of a job aside from having a new propshaft made up. one thing i noted is that the 5kqt cv flanges were bigger, but they interchanged with the 4kq ones. so that would be a simple swap there.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry i didn't specify, the 88 100q was in another wrecking yard and that car already has been crushed. the question in that post was, i wanted to know if the 01A torsen would interchange with the center diff in an 016.

the car i took the differnetial out of yesterday was in a separate wrecking yard, and i was going to swap the gears into the 4kq rear diff housing. i don't have the one section of the bentley manuals for the transmission for the type44, but i'll try and get a good pic up of the differences between the pinions.

now, I heard somewhere that the ur-q used a 3:89 final drive. if i could get one of those, that would be nice........

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
It still wasn't a 100q if it was a 1988 model year. The 100's were not built until the 1989 M.Y. Build Date and Model Year are not the same thing BTW. 1989 cars have a K in the VIN.

And no, the 01A's TorSen center diff is not compatable with the 016 shafts and case.

Why not try to get the 3.89 ring and pinion from the '93-95 B4 quattro? Uses the same diff housing as the AEC, so the ring gear will fit. NM, its the same one used in the 5ktq, so the pinion won't fit.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
This makes me sad in pants. :(:(:(

Wanna see some good pics though iffin you've got'em

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Coop,

Did you memorize the ETKA?

Aaron
:wink:

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Did you memorize the ETKA?
Er, uh, parts of it, maybe?

Oh, and the urq and 1984 4kq used different (larger) rear drive/half-shafts than the newer type85 and subsequent B-chassis cars. The urq and '84 4kq use the same diff case, and the diff housing is the same 017 that the AEC uses. I'm betting that you can just swap the ring and pinion, as the AEC case found in the later 4kq's should have the removable rear mount, so replacing that pesky 64.4mm diam bonded rubber piece is easier. The WF/UR cases have that mount integrated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts