Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a bit of a problem. My friend Nick asked me to help him get his 80tq(my old car)
started and ready for spring,but it won't start. I checked for pwr at the ecu,the injectors and everything looks good. I did notice that when you
flick the switch and energize the ECU the injectors don't all click like they used to. After some head scratching Nick admitted that he left the switch on
all winter which drained the battery. So we pulled the plugs and found that its getting way to much fuel. It looks like the injectors are staying open while the dist is rotating? Any BTDT? I'm at a loss on this one. Is it possible that the injector drivers burned out? Oh yea its the old system StageI.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Aaron, leaving the ECU on that long shouldn't be a problem, if its getting fuel then the drivers shouldn't be burnt out, did you confirm that all the cylinder were getting fuel like this? If the ECU isn't cold priming, it may not be connected to switched 12v.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Javad,

Its getting power for sure(meter). The rail is also getting 12V. I guess
I'll plug the laptop in and see whats going on.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, that's a good idea, see what the laptop says.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the problem! Coolant temp sensor leaked coolant and shorted the connection. Replaced with a new sensor,and the car fires right up.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why I'm so tired,and probably high as a kite from all the fumes!
I had my meter in hand checking everything. Finally got the injectors to stop dumping massive amounts of fuel in the engine,cleaned the plugs,cranked the engine to get all the gas out,installed the clean/dry plugs.....Bang fire in the hole....or hole's.

Aaron

·
Registered
3 Posts
probably wanna change the oil if a ton of fuel got washed down the jugs...

gas in the oil is a quick way to spin some bearings

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea we did that right after it ran better. I couldnt stand hearing it clatter when it would idle. The lifters will let you know when the oil is a bit thin for sure.

Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts