Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just got a 1991 90 Quattro and want to switch out the awful DOT NA spec headlights.

I have this article: http://www.20v.org/light.htm

Wondering where I can find these lights state-side at a reasonable price? I already have an RS2 front bumper that isn't going to take fogs/indicators, and I have cleared out blinkers (no more yellow edges).

The parts numbers for the Hellas are: 1AH 005 295-131 (left) and 1AH 005 295-141 (right).

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure about state-side, or how set you are on using Hella lights, but I got a set of these and am happy with them. I did not get from this seller so no direct endorsement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321788669270?h ... SwAF5UahEI

Made by Depo. This set is $140 with free shipping all the way from Lithuania.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonas-k said:
Not sure about state-side, or how set you are on using Hella lights, but I got a set of these and am happy with them. I did not get from this seller so no direct endorsement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321788669270?h ... SwAF5UahEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Made by Depo. This set is $140 with free shipping all the way from Lithuania.
Excellent this is the exact same set I ended up buying last night haha. Thanks man! Hoping they work out. Anything is better than those stock US headlights.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like the Beamtechs. I have been running them for a couple of years. Not quite as bright as HID's but still very good. My setup is relayed but you might not need that with the LED's since they draw less current.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if running the relays/rewiring everything is vital for setting up these Depos? Going to try to install this weekend.. I've got this very thorough walk through here: http://www.20v.org/light.htm

But some people have said I can just re-wire for the H4 bulbs? Not sure what that looks like. Do I need to purchase H4 harnesses to re-wire into the current wiring and that's it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haven't gotten around to installing the Depo's yet, going to try to soon.

Does anyone have recommendations on if I should be trying to do a full relay/fuse setup or if I should just wire the 3 wires into a new set of H4 harnesses like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Harness-H ... 167&sr=8-6

·
Registered
49 Posts
cmaxvt said:
haven't gotten around to installing the Depo's yet, going to try to soon.

Does anyone have recommendations on if I should be trying to do a full relay/fuse setup or if I should just wire the 3 wires into a new set of H4 harnesses like this?
Relays are really the way to go.

Factory wiring harness was suboptimal for the original light setup. Now 30 years later it's only worse, and with all the current going through the switch at the stalks, they fail at the most inopportune times.

You could argue that if you are going with LED bulbs, then you're reducing your current draw and a direct connection might be fine. But those LED bulbs still pull 50 W.

Get these two things and you should be fine.

9007 to H4 adapter
https://www.amazon.com/GZLMMY-Exten...dp/B07FG7WBT2/ref=psdc_15729931_t1_B01JFO2VIK

and
Relay harness
https://www.amazon.com/RENMAII-LIGH...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Not sure of the quality of those relays.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome thanks Jonas. I am going with traditional H4 bulbs, I didn't want to mess with LEDs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any reason I wouldn't just swap wiring to direct H4 socket instead of do the adapter?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jonas-k said:
cmaxvt said:
Any reason I wouldn't just swap wiring to direct H4 socket instead of do the adapter?
just less wiring and crimping, and no cutting up the factory harness.
Fair enough. Can keep the OEM.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You posted a 9007 to H4 converter. Just wondering if it's supposed to be 9004 to H4? I thought the B3 headlights were 9004.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cmaxvt said:
You posted a 9007 to H4 converter. Just wondering if it's supposed to be 9004 to H4? I thought the B3 headlights were 9004.
Right you are. Same socket. Couldn't find any 9004-specific ones, you'd need to swap the low-beam and ground wires in that adapter and then you're all set.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jonas-k said:
cmaxvt said:
Right you are. Same socket. Couldn't find any 9004-specific ones, you'd need to swap the low-beam and ground wires in that adapter and then you're all set.
Yup, got it. That's what I thought... ground/low beam looked different when I looked them up. Thanks man.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I got these installed and there are quite a few things wrong with mine. When on, low beams aim waaaay up, like 30 feet above the road. They are seated right.. but beam is way high. When I turn on high beams, I get way better light and it's everywhere. (Getting the no bulb error in the cluster, but I think I have to bypass relay for that). When I went to adjust them down, the adjustment screws.. didn't do anything. None of them rotate the beam anywhere. Even with many rotations.

They have an auxiliary light hole that I had to cover up with a ton of electrical tape. I thought these just used single H4 bulbs?

I used the 9007 > H4 lighting harness and swapped the connections accordingly.. might have to double check my work? maybe I did this wrong? Is this why the low beams.. are so bad?

The housing is really not meant to seal up. I had to snake a my 9007>H4 converted through the housing and fill the 1"~ diameter hole it came through with a ton of electrical tape in hopes it doesn't just fill up with dust and dirt. There's no real protection for the bulb entrance to the headlight lens... seems like it is just going to fill up with dirt and dust.

Has anyone had similar experience with these? Am I maybe missing something?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a set of these and they work well for me. Agree that they are not OEM Hella quality, but so much better than the 30 year old US spec lights.

If they are that far out of alignment, and the adjusters don't do anything, then I'd suspect the adjustment mechanism to be faulty. Is it both of them? That would be odd.

Easy to check. Pop the lens off and look. You'll probably need to remove the lights from the car. There are metal clips around the edge, pry these up with a flathead screwdriver or similar tool.
Remove Glass
Remove Reflector surround
Verify that the adjusters are attached securely
Verify that the "Pivot" point is also attached properly (this is the part you swap out if you install an adjustment motor).

For sealing. There should be a large rear cover that seals it tight. Wiring would pass through this. Proper way would be to pass through wiring, then crimp on connectors.

Some pictures of the lights disassembled in this post about installing the beam control motors on these lights.
https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=219341

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jonas - thanks for the info. I am wondering if I re-wired my 9007 > H4 adapter wrong.. and maybe it is making the low beam not function correctly? The highs look great, but the lows barely exist and shine way high, and don't respond to the adjusters. I have to check if the high beam responds to adjustments tonight.

Trying to avoid pulling them in and out again as screw alignment was precarious at best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, the lower screws can be tricky to access, especially with the bumper still on.

The bulbs would need to be way out of alignment to have that much of an effect. Not impossible but should be pretty obvious. Simply wiring them wrong will just have the highs and low reversed, but should still point in the right direction.

What H4 bulbs you're using, halogen or LED?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts