Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just HalogenH4 Bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NM ... UTF8&psc=1

Yea the highs working and the lows being completely out of whack is weird. The lower screws were just really misaligned on some of them.. actually had to pre-drill an extra hole for one of the lower brackets. They line up nice and should be pointed in the right direction.. the bulbs should be flush.. I really don't know why the lows are working so terribly. The adjustment screws don't seem to move anything whatsoever but I didn't test on the high beams.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alright I think I see what is going on. the horizonal adjusters definitely move the housing, but the verticals don't. The adjustment plastic screws aren't gearing into the adjustment gear. Going to try to get them adjusted somehow without yanking the whole headlight out again..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Went back to work on the headlights today. Got them (mostly) sorted! Installed a relay kit to them as well. My wiring for my 9004/9007 > H4 was, as I suspected, bad. I rewired that, installed the relay kit, and removed the headlights completely again to get the vertical aiming cranked down. The low beams are still pointed too high, but they are much lower. I'm not sure what else I can do with them, they are near cranked all the way down. I have to fiddle with it, but it takes using a very precarious setup to get a universal joint ratchet snaked around in there to get them adjusted, since the top screws won't adjust it. Going to try it tonight when I can actually see the light field. Very impressed with the light they throw compared to stock.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just kidding. Thought the socket + hex rotating the nylon gear would work, but turns out it was just stripping on the internal cog to turn the reflectors. I will try again when it's light out... headlights are still aiming way above the road. Damn. Have other people had issues with these Depo H4's adjustments?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I'll try to remember to pull my depos out of the box in a little to look. My Bosch set I though had adjustments on the mounting frame where it bolted to the car for rough adjustment, then the reflector was moved for fine adjustments.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Welp I am giving up on the Depo headlights. Put the OEM ones back in. The depo's were completely unable to be adjust up or down and were aimed almost straight up. I disassembled them and the mechanisms for aiming were completely loose and barely held together. There were also multiple pieces of plastic busted off internally that should have been there to hold the assembly tight. The whole reflector was loose in the housing, and the clips on the outside were missing pieces for the side indicator lights to clip to. Not sure if I just got burned from some knockoffs of the knockoffs or what.. but that was a frustrating two weekends trying to get them working.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does anyone know the bosch parts numbers for the OEM euro H4 single beam headlights...? The Hella's from 20v.org seem to be widely unavailable. I'll be lucky to find either of them available.. I don't really want to risk another set of Depos.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I picked mine up used on ebay.de. It took them over a month to get here, but they were very well packed and even though the box was crushed, not a mark on them. My friend Jack wasn't so lucky though. His Hella's showed up with a broken tab or 2, from the same seller.

As for the depo's, did you buy those new, or used? I know a lot of people who have had very good luck with depo lights, including myself. I have a brand new pair sitting in the garage that showed up perfect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
DE80q said:
I picked mine up used on ebay.de. It took them over a month to get here, but they were very well packed and even though the box was crushed, not a mark on them. My friend Jack wasn't so lucky though. His Hella's showed up with a broken tab or 2, from the same seller.

As for the depo's, did you buy those new, or used? I know a lot of people who have had very good luck with depo lights, including myself. I have a brand new pair sitting in the garage that showed up perfect.
Did you pick up Bosch/Hella's? or Depos on ebay? I will have to keep searching. Is the quality of the Bosch/Hella's significantly better? They look "the same" in photos, but my OEM bosch NA headlights are sooo much better put together than the Depos.

I bought mine new, on ebay, from europe. The internals of the adjusting mechanisms is the worst culprit, but multiple broken clips on the outside don't help. If possible, can you check if your vertical adjustments work on the spare Depos you have?

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have Bosch Ecodes in my 80q. My friend Jack has a set of Hella's in his CQ. We purchased both of our pairs from the same seller on ebay.DE

I picked up a new pair of depos on ebay for the CQ I picked up.

The overall quality of the Bosch and Hella's are much better than the depo's. Just the physical weight difference between them is pretty serious. I'll try to get to them this week and check the adjustor's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
DE80q said:
I have Bosch Ecodes in my 80q. My friend Jack has a set of Hella's in his CQ. We purchased both of our pairs from the same seller on ebay.DE

I picked up a new pair of depos on ebay for the CQ I picked up.

The overall quality of the Bosch and Hella's are much better than the depo's. Just the physical weight difference between them is pretty serious. I'll try to get to them this week and check the adjustor's.
Hey no worries! I actually just found a great site that had the Hella's available in Germany, found them via ebay.de. $200 shipped for the Hella's: https://www.autewo.de/neu-hella-audi-80 ... 893941030h

They had like 25k reviews 100% positive on ebay. works for me. Let's hope this works better! Thanks man.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Just a heads up with them. I ordered things from them, and 2 weeks later I get an email saying they don't have it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
DE80q said:
Just a heads up with them. I ordered things from them, and 2 weeks later I get an email saying they don't have it.
Oof! Okay. Let's hope I'm lucky then. Their ebay showed 2 sets in stock so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Ordered some better bulbs for the NA OEM in the meantime since one of them is just about burnt out anyway. At least I can drive at night for now

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Finally got some real Hella's in. What a difference. The fit and finish is a whole nother level, and honestly the price difference was only $50 all in. I'd recommend always finding the Hella's if possible. Still need to get them dialed in height-wise, but at least the height adjustment works!
Hood Automotive lighting Wood Vehicle Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cookware and bakeware Automotive exterior Gas
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Wheel

21 - 35 of 35 Posts