Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if so, did you survive?

I was cleaning out a bleeder valve, and I was wearing safety glasses. I also had my mouth closed- just a natural instinct to avoid back-spraying into it. Unfortunately I forgot to also close my nostrils.

And it seriously back-sprayed straight up my snozz. I immediately exhaled the current contents of my lungs, with the mouth still closed, attempting to blow it back out.

It kinda worked.

Ever wonder what acetone, heptane isomers, etc. feels like running past you esophagus? It feels... cold.

Good news is, I looked up the MSDS, and it says I'm prob not gonna die. At least not until I get cancer when I'm about 47. It also told me not to induce :barf: , which is good cause that aftertaste would ruin the taste of my beer.

:cheers: Carry on. And wear a mask when spraying brake clean. I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Been working on cars over 45 years now. Washed parts for my dad with leaded gasoline. "Be careful not to get too much on you son" he would say. I have ingested, inhaled, been coated with, exposed to just about every kind of automotive related chemical there is. I suspect that I will die of some weird-assed cancer some day. About the time I retire to the garage to work on my projects I suspect. Wear a face shield & gloves, change out of chemical soaked clothes to keep your exposure to a minimum.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,268 Posts
ive been PRK eye surgeried by the US army, so it was on their dime. But it was mainly my fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
Oh yeah. I was bleeding brakes, and I was the one at the wheel. Set my can of mountain dew right next to my bottle of dot4. Grabbed the wrong one and took a big drink. After a good amount of vomiting I was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,286 Posts
There was a geeker who had some on his clothes and walked close to an infrared space heater. Posted pics of the burns on here and it looked painful. i wouldnt smoke around the stuff either if i were you guys. The shit is volatile as ether....KEBOOM!!!
As for long term affects,i wouldnt worry too much about it. You didnt put back gallons of the stuff. I got some in my eye two weeks ago and it burned like a ______!!!!!!! :x :x :x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
And when exposed to a welding arc it produces lethal phosgene gas, so avoid that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
maverick said:
Oh yeah. I was bleeding brakes, and I was the one at the wheel. Set my can of mountain dew right next to my bottle of dot4. Grabbed the wrong one and took a big drink. After a good amount of vomiting I was fine.
This had me lol'ing at work in a big room of quiet people. Lulz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
As for ingesting brake cleaner. I'm sure I ingested it somehow but not in large quantities. I have however had it splash back in my eye. So that sucked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
corradosic said:
And when exposed to a welding arc it produces lethal phosgene gas, so avoid that.
Quoted again for the seriousness. Don't use brake clean to clean parts prior to welding. It's very dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
I've never in jested much my self, but know someone who has. He was am ASE master tech that worked for me a few years back. I hired a couple new guys and started going through brake cleaner much more quickly. I figured it was them using more than necessary. Turns out that said MT was huffing it off of a rag. By the time I figured it out he was doing about a case per day, was considerably less smart/mentally agile than before, and side swiped a row of parked cars while test driving a customer vehicle. :curses: I had to fix all of the cars and fire him. I wouldn't recommend its use as a recreational drug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
A1QSHIP said:
Been working on cars over 45 years now. Washed parts for my dad with leaded gasoline. "Be careful not to get too much on you son" he would say. I have ingested, inhaled, been coated with, exposed to just about every kind of automotive related chemical there is. I suspect that I will die of some weird-assed cancer some day. About the time I retire to the garage to work on my projects I suspect. Wear a face shield & gloves, change out of chemical soaked clothes to keep your exposure to a minimum.
Chris
Grandpa always had me clean up in diesel. Had a good amount of brake cleaner in the eye before, that was fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Years ago I got brake cleaner in the eye bad (think dumb and dumber with the spray breath mint). I couldn't see out of my eye for a couple minutes and was actually scared. I regained my vision shortly after and it actually messed up a bit of my cornea thats still there today. It's a small weird brown/yellowspot on it. But I still have perfect 20/20 vision so :woot:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top