·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derek
why couldnt the trigger be placed under the wheel instead of infront of it?
If i remember the cam gear is maybe 0.5cm away from the front of the head,maybe you could have done something there?
I think that is a neat seat up and more than likley i will go this route as i have to do the same thing.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the sensor has to sit within a certain proximity of the steel pins, and it won't work underneath the cam gear. and the sensor is sitting as close tot he cam gear as possible, and the cover for it is actually way too big, i just wanted to be safe.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
derracuda said:
well, the sensor has to sit within a certain proximity of the steel pins, and it won't work underneath the cam gear. and the sensor is sitting as close tot he cam gear as possible, and the cover for it is actually way too big, i just wanted to be safe.
so it should work without me cutting my cover?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sammy, you won't really need to mount a sensor where Derek did, Derek needed 5 pulses off the cam in order to give the ECU a good timing and RPM signal, you'll be running distributorless and we can do all you need wtih the 60 tooth wheel on your crank.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
excellent work Derek, that's a very nice way to fit the sensor and pins in there. When I initially thought I was going to need to do that I hacked the timing cover apart pretty brutally. Always cool to see how people approach engineering/fabrication problems.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, what you don't see in the pics is the extra timing cover that i used for mock up. that one had a hole cut in it even larger than this one.

also, on the pins, to make sure they don't come out, i drilled a hole that the pins just barely fit into. and when i installed them in there, i put locktite on em' and drve them into just below flush on the backside, then took a center punch and flared the backside to wedge it into the aluminum.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
very nice intercooler mounting. You've certainly got a talent for fabrication.

Is that bar a safety handrail or something? :)

What are your plans to allowing air through the bumper to get to your IC?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i plan to ventilate the lower part of the bumper. i'll post more pics of that. the bar was a freebie, and it's fairly sturdy, and protrudes just perfect into the back of the bumper.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
cuatrokoop said:
That bar looks like a factory B4-V6 front cross member actually....I was thinking about getting one at a junk yard to use as a basis for my x-member.

Looks good Derek
Looks like, but definitely not the same thing. If thats what you meant. I just visited audi heaven yesterday to get a v6 b4 crossmember and radiator for the v8 setup, also found many many many many other things on my list for a hella good price. 8) Happy camper am I.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts