Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a.m lucky enough to have an extra heater box setup for my B3 and took a long look at how to fix the system in my car. It looks like I can reach into the system by pulling the dash and getting to the flaps through the opening. Rather than foam, I was thinking about magnetic sheet cut to size for each flap. I can put foam onto the magnet sheet, but it seems like a much asier approach than pulling the boxes,and opening them.
Anyone out there that has done the repair, do you think this will work? It seems like a much easier approach.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
2 things

pulling the box allows you to clean it, that foam is gross and gets everywhere.

the other thing is seal. many people who have re sealed their boxes using just that silver aluminum ducting tape notice leaks and also increased sound.The tape that is used is foam and actually creats a nice seal, having a magnatized sheet wouldn't creat that seal.

the real question is, whats the big deal?

Ask darin, i changed his heatercore and rebuilt his whole heater box in about 3 hours including the removal and reinstallation, not really a big deal.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
What did you use for replacement seals/foam?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
WOMBAT said:
What did you use for replacement seals/foam?
bought this from my local home depot:

it is the correct stuff to do this type of job. It was like 8 bucks or something, and it is enough to do at least 2 jobs.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
That's fantastic - Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts