Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking at coil options for my 20vt project and I like the coil on plug design of the bmw and ford setups. I tried using an a4 coil on plug but it is just barely too short to reach all the way down into the head onto the plugs.

Here's a pic from jim's site of both units:

the mustang cobra style coils are a lot like the ones in that pic, except no bend in the top like those other ones (which I'd need for my application):

Jim, I know you have run both the m3 and ford coils.. why did you opt for the ford coils over the m3 coils? Is there something with 034 that works better with the ford setup?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
I have not actually run the M3 coils. My intake pipe is in the way. The Fords are much more versitle, you can bend them, cut the boots, and shorten the springs inside. I actually bough Javad's Magnecore coil wires and am switching to an MC coil setup. The COP thing is cool, but I've been fussing with different mounting brackets, and don't like the way any of them look. Plus I have easy access to MC coils, they're freaken powerful coils, and it's easier to get to the plugs by pulling a wire off.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, true on all points mentioned. I won't have to worry about the pipe routing issues thanks to the x-flow setup.

on the 20v things are a bit different since the top of the coil will sit just on top of the valve cover. I've thought about going with the side of head mounted individual MC coil route too since it might neaten things up.

There is a set on ebay going cheap including the wiring harness and I'm sorely tempted to pick them up, even if I end up selling them back on ebay after deciding not to use them...

Thanks Jim :)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
what's the deal with thw magnacore wires? why didn't you just make some wires out of the copper core wire that can be bought in a spool?
thats what i'm planning on doing, not that you have to copy me in everything i do :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts