Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this would work? it looks to me like it would fit right where the A/C compressor is. thoughts?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
From what I recall, the G60 is too small for the motor it came on. You're better off finding an M62.

Eric

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd actually been having thoughts of a Rotrex in the AC compressors place on my 7A. I'm kind of working out the IC and multi-rib drive belt issues in my head at the moment. I'd want it to look and sound very stock...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've looked into the twin-screw from a Mazda Millenia (I think that's the right one), which had a 1.3 liter twin-screw, but I've heard both super-good, and super-bad info. Not really sure.

Eric

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The Mazda Millenia was a twin screw but it was not 1.3 liters. I think it was 2.3 liters (Maybe you had a type?) where as the Naturally aspirated version was a 2.5l. Great design and the car was fabulous in its day. Fit/Finish and Interior material quality were far beyond any other Mazda and frankly I found them to be up to Acura/Audi/Infinity standards of the day.
I dont know much about the reliability of the blower, but seems it would be the right size for an Audi 7a 2.3L.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Todd, I'm fairly sure the supercharger was 1.3 liters. The engine was 2.3 liters, but I was referring only to the supercharger. Its tough to find specs on that model, but popular belief is that it is really similar to the Lysholm 1200 (1.2 liters). This compares to the Eaton M62, which is right around 1 liter, and the M90, which is 1.5 liters roughly.

I feel like a Millenia blower in good condition would be a good match for the 20v motors, and could be combined with an AWIC pretty easily, allowing for minimal mods to the car for fitment.

Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nismo said:
Todd, I'm fairly sure the supercharger was 1.3 liters. The engine was 2.3 liters, but I was referring only to the supercharger. Its tough to find specs on that model, but popular belief is that it is really similar to the Lysholm 1200 (1.2 liters). This compares to the Eaton M62, which is right around 1 liter, and the M90, which is 1.5 liters roughly.

I feel like a Millenia blower in good condition would be a good match for the 20v motors, and could be combined with an AWIC pretty easily, allowing for minimal mods to the car for fitment.

Eric
AWIC?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Air to water intercooler.

Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nismo said:
Air to water intercooler.

Eric
wouldn't you need and aux radiator if you were to go that route? plus if i do go with a supercharger i would probably do water/meth injection.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Indeed you would, but you could probably replace the CQ aux rad with the radiator for the AWIC.

Eric

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The G60 is to small.

I did a Rotrex on a 2.0L 16V 263WHP 232WTQ See Sig for build thread.
If you go this route there will be much less support than pretty much any other setup. it just hasnt been done much.
Really its so much easier and proven to go turbo i cant see why you would want to take on the challenge. Me I wanted mine to be different and it is, but doing that has cost me more money and time. without any better results.

I will say that if you really need instant throttle response (like for Auto-X) a super charger is awesome!

Good luck and hope you find happiness in your search for boost!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Basil,
I'd be interested to see how you do it. My brother has a 12v, and I've seriously thought about this same charger for that configuration.

Eric

·
Registered
353 Posts
nismo said:
Basil,
I'd be interested to see how you do it. My brother has a 12v, and I've seriously thought about this same charger for that configuration.

Eric
I got as far as holding it up to the engine, ive now ditched the 12v for a 30v as I had a c4 a6 donor so it was a simple swap

·
Registered
325 Posts
G60 charger is a horrible supercharger. i've owned a few corrado G60's and the biggest problem i had was the chargers being low on boost all the time and them exploding. novel idea though but an eaton charger woudl be a far better route. the eaton doesnt need an oil feed or return unlike the G-lader for starters. the eaton is like self efficient.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
00basil00 said:
nismo said:
Basil,

Eric
I got as far as holding it up to the engine, ive now ditched the 12v for a 30v as I had a c4 a6 donor so it was a simple swap
Even better. Info? :)

Eric

·
Registered
353 Posts
nismo said:
00basil00 said:
nismo said:
Basil,

Eric
Even better. Info? :)

Eric
Its still na atm, working on a way to make a manifold to mount the supercharger in the vee and have an intercooler built into it.

The 30v swap is a piece of cake, because it came from a c4 it had the correct exh manifolds, it all bolted in, wiring is pretty basic

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
vwnut8392 said:
G60 charger is a horrible supercharger.
Seconded!

I worked at a German auto repair shop around 1993 when the G60s were pretty common. The local VW dealer we went to for parts had a pile of dead "g-laders" out back, they said they were failing at an incredible rate. Which is too bad, since conceptually they're pretty neat.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Correct, there used to be upgrade options for the G60 to make them more robust. But the G60 is too small for a 2.3L. It would have to be much larger, at least a G100, if they made one. There are other, smaller, turbo-machinery type superchargers that would be pretty easy to find a spot for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts