Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, I heard about a 3 for 1 deal on ur-quattros, but Martin Pajak beat
me to the seller :thanks: . Since then two have been liberated and have their own Motorgeek
threads. This is the story of what is happening to the third one:-

A bit of the history. The car is a LHD European model, that spent some time overseas. This is
the first day we saw the cars:-

Sitting in the middle of Kirk's garden:-

Looking forward to having fun with the Dept. of Homeland Securities at the border:

The car was moved out of the way and sat under a cover for a year:

Thanks to Alex for the loan of his trailer

My friend John did most of the work:

The car arrives home:

First out with engine and tranny:

Anyone need an un-cut early style wiring loom please let me know, it's free

The Team, and Dio fan

Tucked away for now:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I think Mike is planning a V10 from an S8 with dual CIS... but I hear the starter wire might not reach. :)

Glad to see this one saved, it will be worth it. It's an early '82 vin 72.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought that it had to be Tornado Red to be part of the Canadian sport club. :wink: I guess Mars red must qualify. Nice. Will be looking forward to this build.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far Matthew and I have scraped half the insulation from the inside floor.
On the weekend Martin came over with Craig Cook's rotisserie. After watching the GP, I can't help feeling Red Bull have blown the driver's title, by favouring Vettel but that's another story, we assembled the rotisserie. Craig's rotisserie works extremely well, but due to a lack of headroom in my garage requires the car is flipped prior to attaching the chassis to the subframe supports.
First the suspension was removed

Then Martin and I lifted the car on to a crawler and Kate stopped the car from falling.

Storing them this way, it looks like I could fit three more ur-qs in my garage?

On it's roof, attaching rotisserie

Not much room front, back or above...

Lifted up

That was the easy bit, now the hard part

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Nice!
The Sunday flip went a lot smoother and easier than when we did mine two years ago... it's been that long.
Must be the the learning curve.. ;)

It doesn't take that long to stip it.. you can easily do 1/4 of the floor per night (2 hours max).
Just get a full face shield, some sort of a hat to keep the stuff out of your hair, ear plugs and nice thick leather gloves.
The grinder with 3" wire cup brush (knotted) goes through it like butter.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
audiurq said:
Hey Martin,
So I have to get this done before the weekend? What have you done in the last 13 months :lol:

You shouldn't put time stamps on your photos :stupid:
Not bloody much... work on the 4000q quattro (Cali car), work on the '84, work on the 924... anything and everything other than the sport.. :(

Once the '84 is done.... look out!

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the first sport prototype? Apparently they cut 15.75inches or 400mm
between the B and C pillar. Comments on it's handling were not encouraging, so they built a second
prototype with 320mm lopped off. I figure if I screw up on cutting the 320mm I can always keep
going.... measure once , cut twice

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
audiurq said:
Does anyone have a picture of the first sport prototype? Apparently they cut 15.75inches or 400mm
between the B and C pillar. Comments on it's handling were not encouraging, so they built a second
prototype with 320mm lopped off. I figure if I screw up on cutting the 320mm I can always keep
going.... measure once , cut twice

Mike ,

I had that picture on my old computer before it crashed :(

It was regular urq in the background then regular sport in middle, then ultra short sport in front of that.

Damn good picture.

Martin do you have it?

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yes, I should have it, will look it up tonight if I have a chance....
I am motivated and am trying to spend every spare minute under the car.
Emails and other browsing carp are taking the toll.. :(

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Hybrid_Hatch said:
That black one is a complete photoshop, not even a great one.
Shuusht... just don't tell Mike.. :slap:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Craig's rotisserie makes working on the floor of the car much more pleasant.
If you can call grinding off underseal a pleasant way of spending time. At least
when the wire bristles come off the wheel on the angle grinder, and hit the
few inches of exposed skin, they are hot enough to coterize the wound on
impact.....

The floor is about half strpped:-

The worst piece of rust on the car is on the rear seat, now there is a bigger man made hole beside it

With the battery box out it will be easier to remove more underseal.....

At this stage I am not sure if I will relocate the battery box on the floor, as per the factory sport or move it to the boot

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.