Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a NF engine for super cheap! Planning on pulling the head for my 10V and using the block to start a 20V, depending on condition of course.

So the HG on my car now is leaking, slowly using/burning antifreeze and what appears to be oil in the overflow tank!

I wish i had the money for fancy valves and retainers like all you gents are running!

So is there a better or worse HG to use when i do the head swap? And anyone have a set of ARP's laying around they want to get rid of? I know javad had some a while ago, but i'm sure their sold!

I'm taking the NF head to the machine shop soon, planning on having it rebuilt and polished along with a three angle valve job. Any mild porting i can/should do? What've you guys done?

CHeers
Jeff

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
I have a like new (I think it may be factory new, but can't confirm) NF head if you want for your project. From the looks of it the entire head is brandy spankin new, new cam, lifters, valves, everything. Had manifolds bolted to it when I got it, but looks to have never been bolted to a head.

Lemme know if you're interested. It's colecting dust in my garage, and my plans have changed in the engine dept a bit. ;)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i forget, what's different about the NF head? intake bolt pattern, big valves, what else?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

The NF is the N/A head from a 5000 right? Nate if it uses the 4kq style intake let me know and I'll give you some loot for it. I'm looking for a big valve head.

Aaron

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
different compared to which other heads? Only difference between an NF and NG is the NF doesn't have the cutout for the vac pump. But between an NF and an MC there are notably more changes, NF heads use the injectors in the IM, have lager intake valves, but not sodium filled exhaust. I think the rest is pretty much the same, cams are the same between the two motors as well.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Hey,

The NF is the N/A head from a 5000 right? Nate if it uses the 4kq style intake let me know and I'll give you some loot for it. I'm looking for a big valve head.
Aaron
Nope, uses the later style intakes with the injectors in the IM. Lemme look at whatever other heads I've got (have like 4 or 5 sitting around) and maybe I'll have a crate to bring over with me for yah at the next race :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Did you get the video stuff? I can send a bunch more if you like.

Aaron

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Yup, got it bud, send as much as you like, I'll throw it all online in a bit.

Man I need to get some tires studded up for next weekend, Paul's car is just pulling around through there like nuthin. me likes :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My turbo buggy was a blast until the manifold fell off. Go to any ATV place and ask for original gold screws. I only used 600 and had ton's of traction.
The trick is to use really hard summer tires. Treadware of 400 or better.
Get a tube of weather stripping adhesive,a gallon of tire sealer,and a 1/4"
chuck for your cordless drill. Dip the end of the screw in the glue and drive it into the tire. Try and get the clutch on the drill set just right so they dont spin in the tire. You don't need a million screws. More isnt better,but less isnt any better if you get my drift(no pun intended). Save some extra screws for track side repair. The link below is for buying screws online.

Aaron

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthu ... egoryCode=

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Aaron, the stock HG is fine if you use some ARP studs, definitely a must as the stock bolt stretch pretty bad with high boost.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks Javad,but I actually meant "my manifold fell off" exhaust manifold bolts from #4 and #5 fell out during the race. I guess I didnt torque them enough. Anyway I'm using the S4 metal headgasket with the stock bolts.
I cant go over 2 bar with my current map sensor anyway so I'm sure the stock bolts are fine. Anychance we can get you to drive out feb 7th for the enduro on ice?

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey aaron, i think javad was referring to jeff's head gasket :wink:
oh yeah, nate, how long will you have the videos up? i want to get a couple when get back home :D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yea thats what I thought ,but he did say "Aaron" in the opening of his post.....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
haha :wink:

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
The best combo other than and o-ringed block and copper HG is the ur-s4 all metal HG with ARP head studs. I've beat the living shit out of mine by putting in bad timing values. It finally just barely gave way after the dyno day at 20 psi of boost, race gas, 450 hp and 10 degree's too much advance. I entered a 5 instead of -5 on one of my maps. Do NOT do this! Ohh my poor piston rings..... Even then it only leaked when pushed to over 15 psi of boost. Yet another example of how freaken strong these motors are. :bashtard:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
jim, you are a nut my friend :D :D , your poor car. oh well, i guess i'll try to learn from your example :p

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ahh yes, sorry Aaron, I meant the original poster, DOH!

:tard:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright, so a metal ur-S4 head gasket? the 20V works on the 10V? "UR" means european?

Now it was my understanding that the NF head was a bolt up for the MC1, meaning all was the same except for the bigger valves.............i guess not? If i get an NF head do i need to have holes drilled for the injectors to plug into the head rather than the intake? I need to go look at the one i'm getting some more i guess......

what would be easier, adapting the NF head for an MC1 or grabbing the intake valves out of a NF and having the MC machined for them?

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
ur = german for original. So get a 92 s4 HG. THe part # should end in AD I believe.

what would be easier, adapting the NF head for an MC1 or grabbing the intake valves out of a NF and having the MC machined for them?
Thake the valves out, and have larger seats put in the MC head. Any good shop should be able to do it.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Nate, there are TWO variations of the NF. The one found in the '87-88 5k/5kq uses injectors in the head. The variant in the '89-91 100 uses the NG style, IM mounted injectors. I can go take a picture of my 5kq's head if you really want ;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts