Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just finished installing H&R springs (New from H&R) front and back on my 1990 Audi 90Q 20V (2 piece uprights). I now have rake like a muscle car which was not the desired outcome. Upon opening the box I noticed that the front and rears were the exact same spring, same size, same markings, same part numbers. Is there supposed to be a specific front and rear spring? I didn't think much of it as the front and rear suspension setups are very similar and maybe they even used the same spring. I am guessing I was wrong. Also, my springs are red and all the ones online that I see are blue/purpleish. Did I get the wrong setup? Or maybe they mixed up what goes in the box? I noticed in an ebay listing the purple springs being sold as belonging to a 90Q20V had a front and rear, but I am not sure how accurate those pictures were.

Before install, all stock

half way through install, front H&R, rear stock

Finished install, front H&R, rear H&R

My Kit, #50311

H&R's website verifies the kit needed for my car is #50311.

The car did not lower in the rear after releasing the E-brake, pulled out of gear, and quick drive around the neighborhood.

TL:DR
H&R springs installed
All 4 springs are the same
crazy rake
really hope I got the wrong springs

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Josh

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just throw some 11" wide racing slicks on the back, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
4,119 Posts
I have the same spring for my CQ and they are red, same part number.
Is it sit well (all the way) in the perch, top and bottom?

Mine didnt, the side of the perch was touching it (stucked in) and when i went over a bump it clicked (like a tension-ed spring/metal)
h&r has different shape and size (last coil) then the original spring.

CAM01204.jpg

CAM01203.jpg

Had to open a bit the top of the perch and installed a hose on the last coil, now it quick as it should be.
CAM01210.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I wonder if that's why my left front clunks over bumps...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was but I will check again. Maybe It just needs more time to settle, but it still seems high and the spring was the same size as the outgoing one. The rears are really the exact same spring as the front?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a bad kit. The front and rear springs will look very similar, but the rear springs should be quite a bit "softer" as the rear does not weigh nearly as much as the front. I would call H&R and ask them to look up what the front a rear spring part #s are. once you verify that, then find out how to got the proper spring for the rear. I had this happen years ago from another brand. It sucks to go through all the work twice, but its a case of crap happens.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice car OP! Looks very clean.

I ran H&R's on my 90q for almost 10 years and have transferred them to my Coupe now that the 90 is gone. I didn't have the rake problem that I can remember, but did have the metallic clunk problem. I solved it by turning the spring upside down, ie coils that touch each other when the spring is compressed at the top.

Good luck

Barry

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
q20V,

Thanks!

DE80Q and the rest,

I just got off the phone with H&R, they said that all 4 springs are supposed to be exactly the same with no difference front to rear. I have never seen this before on any application like this but then again, I haven't installed suspension on a large variety of cars. But this info came from the horses mouth, so I don't know what else to do other than see if they break in.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
That is interesting. I know my B&G springs are a different part # front and rear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just a tought

I have them on my CQ no problem, another aspect is what kind shocks do you have On the car. There is diffrence between just changeging spring amd springs and shocks.

I run HR srpings and bilsteins on CQ no issues

DE80q said:
That is interesting. I know my B&G springs are a different part # front and rear.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I could have sworn the H&R's I had on my 4kq were different part numbers front to back.
I know for sure my Eibach's are very different.

That said, I just found this topic here on MG that confirms they are the same front to rear. Seems unusual to me but maybe for the 90q they did make that change. Althought it makes no sense as the rear is far lighter than the front. To keep the same height in the rear with the same rate spring, it would need to be shorter. OR be the same length and less rate.

Here is the other thread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40188

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have stock shocks on the car. Once they go I will probably go with Koni shocks.

zarati said:
I could have sworn the H&R's I had on my 4kq were different part numbers front to back.
I know for sure my Eibach's are very different.

That said, I just found this topic here on MG that confirms they are the same front to rear. Seems unusual to me but maybe for the 90q they did make that change. Althought it makes no sense as the rear is far lighter than the front. To keep the same height in the rear with the same rate spring, it would need to be shorter. OR be the same length and less rate.

Here is the other thread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is exactly what I was thinking, almost word for word. But There must be some more witch craft to springs that I do not understand.

But good news. I drove it roughly 7 miles, hit some bumps, and added a little fuel which seemed to help. Here is a picture from earlier. It seems to be sitting even a little lower and more even now since this most recent picture.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the H&R's in my '88 90q. Yes, the 50311 kit is supposed to be the same spring all around. Not sure why they bothered marking them with the front and rear dots.. lol
The H&R's for the 4kq use the same fronts basically but softer rears. I did a lot of research before buying my 50311 kit.
It should settle pretty level. Took about 4-5 days for mine to settle.
The "lowering" is debatable. My stock rears were so soft it didn't make much of a difference for me there lol Handled much better tho! I'm in the process now of modifying my strut tubes with mk2 VW Bilstein inserts to drop it a bit more.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you happen to know the spring rates for these vs stock?

Mine is getting lower. I scrapped going over a speed bump the other day and was surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this a common outcome with H&Rs?

I just bought an 88 90 and want to lower it a little so have been eying the H&R and Eibachs as they're not too extreme. I've also noticed many say 89+ versus including the 88 model, do they all fit? Sorry to slightly hijack the thread but figured some posting would know. Are there better options I'm missing?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You have the right springs. FWIW, the B3 is unique in that it has the same front and rear; the coupe etc. do not.
My experience was the same regarding the tramlining, but there have been posts in the past regarding this.
Some solutions were to install stiffer steering dampeners, and be sure to get a full alignment. Steering geometry is complex enough that changing the height by an inch or so can affect alignment substantially.
Folks in the past also concluded it was inadvisable to run these without also running strut inserts but I don't remember exactly why.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My kit was an older NIB kit I found a guy selling. And to be honest, they aren't as low as I would've liked for the price now that I have built my own coilovers and strut uprights, but anyways.. Mine settled and are still the same height since. Sometimes they will sagg in the rear end. Not sure if it's because of weight or if I've been accelerating heavy?. Probably an issue with my strut inserts. They handle good and ride better than the stock springs in my opinion. If my 88 90q came with a rear sway bar (can't wait to find one!) I think I'd be even happier yet. I always recommend H&R Sports for daily drivers. Have them in both of my cars. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The lowering amount is compared with new stock springs, not 20 year old tired ones. When I installed 0.5" lower Euro springs on my old Datsun, the car actually raised a bit, and stayed that way.

Also, what upper spring perch / strut bearing combo do you have? I know that can make quite a difference. Ask me how I know, with my failed experiment at raising my 4kq. It's driving uphill right now, ready to take off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.