Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, busy Weekend for me, as i am trying to get all my stuff together for the efi conversion comming up. I did get around to getting my header done though among other things.

Now I am unfamiliar with the methods to keeping heat at a minimal under the hood. I know that mostly everyone on this forum did coatings, but is there a reason why no one wrapped it? Now I have heard that in decreases header longivity, but ive also heard that wraps are the real deal. I work at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and the shop across from ours do Twin turbo Nsx's and they swear by them. IN fact, a customers car did an 11.2 in the Quarter, and that cars Turbo had a faint glow to it after multiple runs, and 20 minutes after the engine was shut down, you could touch the header and it was probly around 100 degrees. I was impressed.

In any case, opinions?

Oh yea, and I have to put out an "Im sorry" to Javad and 034, for a while back on Audiworld, i did some distructive Critisism of his header before i knew the facts. I said how the inline 5 collector was inferior to a circ. like Jims. I was foolish in my Youth :( . I've experimented with both and im not sure Jims is worth the time. IT is a PITA to do. Jim, did you TIG it yourself? Jim, I dub you the WELD EL master. While it is a piece of art, it is a bunch more work. and the Turbo seems like it has to sit out a bit further. With Javads, and mine, it the Turbo is nearly a strait shot right out of the head. And with the Garret flange, the inline 5 colector matches the square flange.

As everyone knows, J dub is offering a header soon for both apps, and at the target price, it is such a deal. I did all the work myself ie. Welding Machining flanges exc. and still came close to his price with all things considered. It also took me 2 full days, and Javads still has better angles than mine! Crappy and 034's header shouldn't be used in the same sentence ever again.

Javad is a great guy though. Even though I was a dick AW, he still helped me out. What a gent :wink:

Hope you enjoy the action Photo! thats me behind the mask in case your were wondering 8)

Hank

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Sweet! Glad to see another 10vt header going on. I didn't do the final TIG welding, I had Joe McCarthy of Fabtech do it. He builds sprint car frames, and really is a welding God. The circle collector was a PITA, but I was hell bent on getting it in there. The collector like Javad's is definatly better packaging wise, and sometimes I wish I would have done it that way. As far as wrapping my header, I'll never do it. It holds in to much heat, and can turn even 304 SS into little carbide crystals at high temps. I wrap my downpipe, and that's about it. Ideally you should coat the inside of the header so all the heat stays in the exhaust and out of the metal, but then you risk getting it in the turbo if it ever flakes. I had mine done on the outside, but it's all pretty much flaked off from poor prep on the part of our local coating shop. I'd say coat the IM, put in some hood vents, and leave the poor header you worked so hard on alone.

I have a question for you guys, do any of you run RS2 lights? Mine are so freaken deep that I almost had to put the turbo where I did to have decent access for intake piping. Javad is that GT30R you recently installed shorter than a regular T03/T04? The center section looks alot smaller.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
suggestion, when I first setup my engine for a turbo, i was planning on using the stock 4kq IM, and I made an aluminum heat shield that bolted to the bosses in the bottom of the IM, then i used that adhesive backed heat shielding stuff from "cool it/thermo tec", and then made a duct strait from the grille to a duct i made at the front of the shield to send cool air flowing through the underneath of the IM. unfortunately i switched manifolds and the new one was different and had to scrap my idea and it never got tried out. i will ressurrect the idea with my new turbo intake,tube header combo. i plan on welding little stands for the shield to bolt to.

I used header wrap on my down pipe and yes it makes a difference, i actually had enough that i wrapped it twice :p . at idle (when warmed up) i can put my hand on the downpipe. as far as wrapping the header itself, i'm still on the fence. i would,however, like one of those stainless hot side covers for the turbo itself :)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey jim, if i can find it,it's been a while since i last had it in my hands :p ) i'll send it your way, it doesn't do me any good anymore, send me an email or PM with your address.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
actually, it just was held on by the two bosses at the bottom,no need to remove the intake manifold. it was made out of thick enough material and there was enough clearances that vibration shouldn't be a problem. it basically slid in between the two manifolds. i went and looked for it, but, no where to be found. oh well, i'll just have to start over :bashtard:

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could see flakes coming through the turbo a bad thing. Jim, My Euro's are super deep as well, now that you mention it, i hope my lights fit. hey Jim, that IC you have is huge, where did you source it from? I want it. Whats the width on it , like 24 inches?

Nate, hows that Volvo IC treating you?

Ive wanted to play with your idea too Der. It seems like air across that region would be a good thing. How thin of Aluminum plate did you use. I'll probly shield it up. Posts may be a good idea indeed.

Hank

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i used .060 aluminum, it was really simple, just a 90 degree bend and it went under the intake all the way til about 1/4 inch from the intake bolts. i did have to make a funky notch to clear the oil inlet, but it turned out ok. if this was used with a header, it would turn out sweet.

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
I got it from a large truck radiator shop. They had a bunch of random IC's laying around. All I can say is it's from Tokyo Radiator, most of the #'s are gone, and the guys there had no idea what it was from. The core is ~22"x22"x2.5". the end tanks are quite large, it's probably 36" wide at the inlet/outlets.

Go check out your local used truck parts stores, I bet they'll have something.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ShavedQuattro said:
Nate, hows that Volvo IC treating you?
I'm curious too :D

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
So far so good guys, you can take a look at my various data logs and compare them to the other guys for relative temperature increases. It's not the worlds most effecient IC, but probably one of the best bangs for the buck (I think I paid $20 for mine :)) and it's held up to all sorts of silly boost. I've never had to strap it and haven't had any leaks yet. Of course now I will having said that..... 8)

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
JetHot coatings....Send them your manifold, they'll clean it up and coat it inside and out (JetHot 2000). Chipping should not be a problem, their coatings are pretty tough. I'd also think about having the IM coated with a thermal barrier (JetHot Sterling) as well since it sits directly above the EM.

Pricing isn't horrible, but it isn't cheap. I have been considering sending them the EM, IM, and turbine housing.

Here's a link...
http://www.jet-hot.com/pages/techinfo.html

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I had a few things jethot coated on my 10vt project. The results were impressive and the coating definitely held up very well.

I opted not to get the internal ceramic coating on the exhaust manifold due to fears over chipping. In fact, I think they actually recommend against doing internal ceramic coatings on turbo exhaust manifolds IIRC.

before the engine went in the car:

and a fairly recent photo with the IM off to show the condition of the EM after ~20k miles:

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it has held up. Supposedly regular powdercoating companies will do a high temp coating that holds up as well as Jet Hot for less $$. They even have special powders for the DIY approach for use with guns like eastwood sells. With any luck I'll be giving the DIY approach a shot once I find a cheap used kitchen oven :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts