Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LAUGH OUT LOUD. :bullshits:
Yes , I owned a very rare very unique WR aluminum block from my personal stash back home. I still have another one and no it is not for sale as the deck, bores and threads need work. I transported the 1st block to Canada and then shipped it to Portland OR.
I traded Richard Hoffman (Billzcat1) the aluminum block to make carriers and hats to use Brembo 996 4 Pot calipers on an Audi S2/80 5 x 112 hub. In the end he did not complete the work (infact he did not do squat) but still wanted the keep the block for "his time".

After waiting a year for him to complete his end of the deal , he decided to default and he put the block up for sale on ebay without my permission. It ended up selling for over 1500 USD.
This is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8093&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10 years ago I wanted to keep peace amongst the forum and had Richard send Javad Shadzi @ 034 motorsport $1000 USD (to be used as store credit) and he was instructed to keep the rest. I was called names by Richard because apparently I told him he could "have" the block. Yes I just "gave away will nilly" a rare piece of Audi history that everyone cries over. In the end he apologized (because he got paid for doing dick all) , however , what I should have said then that I am going to say now is after all these years Richard Hoffman is a poor excuse for a human being. He essentially got paid for doing nothing and he sold property that was not his to sell.

Lesson learnt - support reputable vendors who know how to run a business and honor agreements.

Edit: I was just told that the block was actually sold for more than $1500 USD
Edit again : It was actually sold to a gentlemen in Canada for $2500 USD + shipping. :frustrated:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If its aluminum than you have scored big time. S2 works motor? I think Sprongl has one and from what I've been told they are around $150,000 a copy. Lehman did the development work from what I've read.

Opinions?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey wiz, i can still get you some other gauges for a trade :D

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
150000? was that a type-O. I've seen them for 10 thousand

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
From what I've read the Aluminum 10V trubo blocks are very very rare.
The S1 rally car had an Aluminum block 10V 2.1l I think. I'm sure you don't have the expensive one wiz.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
haha...
but derra you think it can be repaired?
i mean just change the sleeves and slap on some ARP head bolts?
or you think i have to throw it away?
yeah, being that it's aluminum, the block can be repaired easier than a cast iron block(cast iron is a totol pain to weld). it'd be kinda of a pain,but worth it. have a machine shop do it. weld the messed up holes and then machine the surface flat, mount the head and redrilled the head bolt holes, unless the holes are not huge and you could get away with helicoiling them, that's stronger than just straight studs in the block itself.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Aluminum I5 blocks are extremely rare, it is either from a race car or from a Sport Quattro. Most likely a sport quattro block. It may not be worth anything if its trash, I'd say take it to a reputable machine shop and see what they say, if the repairs can be made.

Though the block is extremely light and strong (when I worked at Eurospec we had a few of these, and I could stick my hand through #3 and easily pick the block up with one hand), for a street car that you'd like to drive for, say, 50k miles, the cast iron block is still going to give you the best reliability and strength. Many of the Sport Q's have been retrofitted with steel blocks since.

Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I've a little experience with this so I'll share some things I've seen. When they redeck the block they also remachine the rods. planing the bottom of the rods and then reboring them (sorry don't know the tech terms). combustion is in the piston and head area so no change should be necessary unless you want to change the normal ratio. Lining would have to be machined also. HTH
Like Javad mentioned though using this block would be compromising on a street engine. The heads studs bolt through the block and in the past AS had to actually weld the head to the block in times where extreme power was necessary. Unless you're anticipating frequent tear downs the iron block maybe a better street application. Good score though I'd be excited.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
That's tough because it's only as valueable as how bad somewhat else wants it. I'm sure you know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I know someone who has new and used ones let me get a message out to him and see what he thinks my opinion would only be a guess at best.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
There IS an aluminum block version of the WR motor found in european-spec ur-quattros. If it is an Aluminum WR block, it is NLA from Audi (worldwide). You can still get a "new" KW (Sport quattro) block, which should be aluminum as well.

The breather piece should be a standard 5cyl item, so easily replaceable.

Look for the engine code and serial number stamp, should be on the oil dipstick tube side of the block, up near the top of the block.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The way I understand it, the Al 10v block that appeared in some of the Euro spec Urqs was EXTREMELY rare. I have no ideas on how you could figure out if it's one of those or something from a KX code engine, I'm not really familiar with the 20v blocks. I guess if SportQ owners are converting to iron blocks for the sake of longevity it could be one of those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts