Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I just signed up. I see quite a few familiar people here, but for those of you that don't know me...
I'm Mike Gough, I drive a low budget turbocharged 1988 VW Quantum syncro (VW "R22") I've been hanging out on the Q list for over 3 years now (sheesh where does the time go?) I started out by turbocharging the JT motor in 2001, installed EFI (megasquirt) on it in 2002, and swapped in a mildly modified MC1 motor in 2003. It has the following...
220k mile MC1 engine, new rings, bearings, seals etc. Stock bore/pistons
Port matched head
K&N open element air filter
42lb injectors (actual flow rate is about 47lb at 55psi base pressure)
Elgin re-ground cam- 270 degree intake/260 degree exhaust
Autotech valve springs (high performance or some-such)
Tubular exhaust header
K26/27 hybrid turbo
3" downpipe with cutout for the track
Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
Anyway, since the suspension used to really suck, I haven't done anything except drag racing with it. In August it went 13.9 @ 98mph in the quarter mile, with 6psi boost pressure. My coil wouldn't fire with any more than 6psi so that's as far as I got that night. Haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, but I'll do that this summer for sure.
Over Christmas break (I'm in college right now) I took care of the suspension- new bushings, Shine racing 300# springs front, H&R Group G 285# springs rear, Koni sport shocks all around, so hopefully I'll do some driving schools and time trials sometime soon.
This summer calls for body work and paint, so it doesn't look like a pile of horse manure anymore. It's getting painted Nogaro blue, with a black/blue interrior to match.
Pics can be seen at www.newtsplace.com/~mdg3369 under (I think) images. I haven't put any new pics up there in about a year, but the header pics are there. I've got a ton of new ones, and now that I don't have a car to work on, maybe I'll get around to finally putting together a website.
Anyway that's my story, glad to be here, have a place to hang out. Hopefully I can be helpful to someone.
Mike
'88 VW "R22"

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
K, now everyone gather round and lets welcome Mike into our little self help group... ready, all together now:

Hello Mike

now lets follow this up with a nice rendition of Kumbaya...you motherfuckincrankbolt...kumbayaaaaa

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Mike, its about friggin' time you showed up, you're a welcome additiion to our assylum. We have no where else to go to be understood, you'll fit in nicely =)

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hi mike, I don't really know you but for the sake of using this emoticon :slap: , just where have you been, huh huh huh :wink: . I look forward to getting some good info out of you,er, I mean helping you in every way I can :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi Mike!!!!!

Its nice to see some more Borg building folk on the site. A friend of mine has a QSW,and you've become his hero. He loves it when he see's pics of your
machine.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JShadzi said:
Mike, its about friggin' time you showed up, you're a welcome additiion to our assylum. We have no where else to go to be understood, you'll fit in nicely =)
Well thanks buddy!
By the way, for those that don't know, without Javad's advice I wouldn't have even gotten started with the JT turbo way back when. He's definately the man :)
Don't have to tell me about not being understood elsewhere, all the Q listers that get it are right here!

iduaobrut said:
Its nice to see some more Borg building folk on the site. A friend of mine has a QSW,and you've become his hero. He loves it when he see's pics of your
machine.
Wow Aaron, nice to know someone else gets some benefit from my car. I think all the syncronized group folks have just dismissed me as insane by now. If he or you ever need anything, feel free to drop me a line, I'm always up to shoot the breeze about cars.
Mike (hoping all those quotes come out right)
'88 VW "R22"

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike.

I have to admit, I'm with Javad's comment on the Q-list about your ego bruising 13.9 1/4 mile run. The best I could manage was 14.3 a few months back on a lot more than 6 psi of boost :). I suspect that header has something to do with it....

Funny how I decided to go right to the 20v setup instead of building a header, I guess I figured I'd rather go with a beater breathing head before spending time building a header. Of course you guys understand the real reason for drastic changes like this is to be able to spend more time in the garage turning wrenches. There, I said it :slap:

We should have group therapy sessions where we talk about our problem in the form of drag strip runs and track days. :p

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome Mike!

Just to make you feel even better, your car is one of the contributors to my current process of convencing my wife that we need a beater (you guessed which one I have in mind).

Cheers,

Carlos.

ps. We actually need a beater. I have all the parts to replace the timing belt of her 1.8T for at least 4 months. She refuses to drive my truck and can't stop her car for a day.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Speaking of an 034EFI track day..man, someday when we're all a little richer, maybe we could have an event somewhere in the midwest and have everyone drive out to it, maybe the east coast guys could get a semi and bring all their cars out, man, that would be fun =)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Ooooh, now that could be fun, just how much does it cost for a group of us to 'rent' a transporter to take them cross country? hmmmm...

Hell, I'm up for a roadtrip in the audi too :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Midwest track event would be awesome!

It'd be good to see everyones EFI converted Audi's all in one place!

Steve

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Hells yes.....i'm all about a GTG for these groups. Like i said elsewhere i'm contemplating driving to NJ for waterfest. Midwest would be cool. My fam is from Minneapolis/St. paul. We could do brainerd international raceway in mineesota.....good facility. Or there's elkhart lake wisconsin...road america.....that place is one of my favorite tracks. That'd be my vote....

Jeff

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
YEA!! road america is sweet. I know a cheap hotel in New Holstien (we called it fresh cow). that would fit a whole clan. When I was pit crew on a VW team back in the late 80's early 90's we would race in Elkhart lake. I can still hear the V12 Jag GTP car fly by like a WWII fighter plane.

Aaron

count me in!

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Hi mike
welcome to the forum....
derracuda and i are the young guns on the forum and well :stupid:
lol
iduaobrut wont leave me alone :( although id like to :slap:
just kidifng :bullshits:
love the way you have your vw set up...i bet you pounce on unsuspecting cars all the time.
Ok...2 questions for you:
#1:http://www.newtsplace.com/~mdg3369/images/?mode=view&album=new_pics&pic=Intakemanifold.jpg&dispsize=640&start=0

where did you get that elbow bend for the intake manifold?!that is just the piece i was looking for!Paid $45US in Barbados for one to have a welder man chop it up.This caused me to be so angered that i fucked it at his welder plant...but whatever,i am on the medication and all is cool :frustrated:

questioin #2....where did that head come from?I thought only inline 4's had the big ports?Is there a turbo manifold for your head?If so i would get one ionstead of chopping up my 2 intakes to build one...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wizard-of-OD said:
Hi mike
Ok...2 questions for you:
#1:http://www.newtsplace.com/~mdg3369/images/?mode=view&album=new_pics&pic=Intakemanifold.jpg&dispsize=640&start=0

where did you get that elbow bend for the intake manifold?!that is just the piece i was looking for!Paid $45US in Barbados for one to have a welder man chop it up.This caused me to be so angered that i fucked it at his welder plant...but whatever,i am on the medication and all is cool :frustrated:

questioin #2....where did that head come from?I thought only inline 4's had the big ports?Is there a turbo manifold for your head?If so i would get one ionstead of chopping up my 2 intakes to build one...
That elbow is a Callaway piece, got it from Javad. Last I checked (a few years ago) he could get more of them for roughly 50 bucks.
The one on the car now is something I made from 3" pipe. Here's a picture. If this "attachment" thing works.
Oh it doesn't work, so we'll do this

I didn't even paint the damn thing, I would have if I planned on using it for more than a week.....Come to think of it, most of the stuff in that picture is "temporary" I guess that's how it goes when you never stop dicking around with things. No point in using fancy silicone hose for my intake when I'm just going to change it all around in another few months...
The head in that picture is the stock JT. The head in the pictures with the header is the MC head. The turbo manifold should bolt to your 4 cylinder, lost of the Golf/Rabbit guys do it. Chop off number 5 and weld a cap on the end.[img[/img]

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey guys, you know thunder hill is a killer track also, same with laguna seca or sears point....oops, infineon raceway(ugh). maybe the semi transporter idea ain't a bad idea......

mike's elbow is from an early vw callaway turbo kit, NLA, or i would have one. sometimes you can find the kits on ebay, but you usually have to buy the whole turbo kit .

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts