Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum, so figured I'd say hello...

Read through a number of the old posts and am very impressed with the quality of discussion...I'm always looking for new things to learn.

Anyway, probably some of you have seen/read/heard about/laughed at my website which I describe in vague detail my project of putting a 7A with a turbo in my CGT a few years ago...

Pretty much I consider that project "complete" (we all know what complete really means...) and I'm preparing to move on to a new one... I'm happy with the 7A turbo in the CGT. I haven't wrung out anywhere near the maximum potential of the engine like many of y'all are doing because frankly I think it's kinda pointless in a non-quattro. Pretty much the car will be seeing the track maybe 1/2 dozen times a year for HPDE type events, and the rest of the time the car is used for spirited weekend driving.

I haven't dynoed the car, but am hoping to sometime in '04. Right now I'm only running 10 lbs. boost, which makes the car farily manageable. More power on this car without a LSD (give me time) just isn't practical. When Carlos (CS Rally) visited over the holidays, his test-ride in the rain was so disappointing because every time I pressed the gas I kept having to say, "Well if the wheels weren't spinning, we'd be accelerating right now."

There are a lot of things on the car that I know could be done better (i.e. LSD, different gearing, intake plumbing, and the intercooler design and location to name a few...) but for now the car runs wonderfully, and still puts a ____eating grin on my face every time I press the pedal on the right...which is what my goal was for the project.

A few months back I bought a cosmetically excellent but mechanically screwed UrQ, and at the same time picked up a running, but wrecked 1990 V8. The plan is to put the PT in the UrQ. Given that I'm getting hitched this upcoming year, and am still wrapping up the addition I put on my house this last year, I'm going into the project realizing it's going to take a long time to do well (by my standards). When I did the 20vt CGT, I wanted to do it "as fast as possible" but that mentality led me to getting real sick of the project part way through, taking some shortcuts that I later had to un-do and redo, and also added to the domestic strife index on occasion. So this time since I have a fun car to drive already, I feel I want to spend more time enjoying the conversion process, relax some, and not worry if it takes me a year or two to finish to my satisfaction (if that's possible).

Anyway, enough rambling from me... looking forward to joining in on any disussions when I feel I can help out.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Alan, congrats on getting married. I too am getting hitched (Aug 6, '04). Its great to know when you've found "the one", isn't it?

Anyway, vague detail is better than none :wink: I'm just glad someone tackled the 7A-turbo project in a timely manner (Bernie is still slowly developing his, working out cam profiles to lower the dynamic CR still I think).

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Alan, as Jim says - welcome. We hope this is a safe place for you to be pushed to socially destructive levels of tuning =)

One questions I always had for you Alan, on your site you mention using the stock 7A engine management system and having it reprogramed, can you give more detail on what was done exactly and if you're using the stock Hitachi style inejctors?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
No kidding!!?! I'm trying to borrow a D3-A8 to use as the "getaway car"...Seeing as though its owner is my dad's boss and is who I bought the CQ from, should be OK, right? :D

And yes Alan, how DID you get the Hitachi computer reprogrammed?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
As others have said, many welcomes and congrats to you and yours. Share and enjoy, we don't bite. Much. :wtf: :p

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
:stupid:

Welcome! I'm working on my own 7A based 20vt project (you've probably already read the thread on this forum about it) so I'm sure you can bring some expertice to the table. I'm also trying to get mine going for as cheap as possible with the knowldege that if something breaks I'll go back and do it 'right'. Hopefully this decision works out ok when the rubber meets the road again, someday.. :)

Just remember that the first step is admitting you have a problem. So repeat after me: 'My name is Alan, and I have a turbo problem'. There, that feels better, doesn't it?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
a4kquattro said:
:stupid:

Welcome! I'm working on my own 7A based 20vt project (you've probably already read the thread on this forum about it) so I'm sure you can bring some expertice to the table. I'm also trying to get mine going for as cheap as possible with the knowldege that if something breaks I'll go back and do it 'right'. Hopefully this decision works out ok when the rubber meets the road again, someday.. :)

Just remember that the first step is admitting you have a problem. So repeat after me: 'My name is Alan, and I have a turbo problem'. There, that feels better, doesn't it?
:stupid: :p :thanks:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey alan, I'm derek, and I have a turbo problem as well as the others. pullin 6500 + rpms with the boost gauge pegged gets very addictive........ :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"My name is Alan and I have a turbo problem." Yep, that does feel good.

M-day is 5/22 for me.

Hah, the $20,000 dollar question on the ECU. Long story, and probably not worth it, but here it is:

I bought the engine from a friend of mine who had it in his CQ, with the turbo already installed. He bought the car that way (with the turbo on it) about 3 years prior. I don't remember exactly where the car came from, but that doesn't really matter. He wanted out of the engine because he wanted to put a 4.2 V8 in the car instead. I think the car wound up in last April's issue of Euro Car Mag or something.

Anyway, I'd seen the car run at local auto-x's before and it was definitely fast. Given the price, I agreed to take the engine off his hands after I test drove it. Well, the test drive was amazing, but there were some things I didn't like, for example, the turbo would stall on shifts and made the car really laggy. I assumed he had a bad BPV/BOV (wrong, it never had one). Also, the car would run at 100% duty cycle at anything past 8#'s or so boost. Afterwards, I opened the hood expecting a 3B or AAN, and was shocked / horrified when I saw it was a 7A. The swap looked like crap.

When I saw the motor, I told him I'd have to think about it and I left. I didn't like what it looked like, but the feel of the car was awesome and that stuck with me. I also figured since the car had 30k since the turboing, that if it were going to blow, it would have done so already. I called him the next day and decided to take it. He let me pull everything I wanted out of the car myself the next weekend.

He also showed me the paperwork he had on the car. The turboing work was done originally by a rather [in] famous Audi tuner in Fla. who's business's name sounds like a worn out lifter. Receipts show the turbo project cost the original owner about $20k., including about $3k in "dyno time" to program the ECU. The only dyno "evidence" in the paperwork was a curve which indicated 296 peak hp. While the dyno sheet said it was that car, I really don't believe it. Also included in the 20k was a set of wheels, porsche big brakes up front, and a ricey looking fiberglass nose.

Anyway, I really don't know what was done to reprogram the ECU. It still uses the stock injectors, which explains why when the car had an 16# spring, it ran at 100% duty cycle past 8#'s or so. It also uses the stock MAF too, which kinda suprises me. The car used to run a fuel pressure of 55#'s at 0 vac/0 boost, I upped that to 65#'s with the RR FPR adding 1#fuel /# boost. At 10#'s of boost, I run 90% duty cycle now. I'd need to definitely add bigger injectors to add more boost. Under boost , both A/F gauges which run off their own OXS on the downpipe indicate the car stays very rich.

About every 2 months when driving the car, the perfectionist devil sits on my shoulder and says, "Alan, you should ditch this ECU and go 034 and do everything right." But then I think, I've had the car at the track, run the heck out of it, not had any leaning out or knocking problems... so although it's not "right" it's probably not really worth fixing unless I put the engine in a car where I really could take advantage of cranking up the boost.

The one good thing (?) that happened was soon after I got it all in the CGT, my wastegate stuck shut, the HG blew and some rods wound up with a little "personality" During the post-mortem, I found may of the things that the original owner paid $20k to have done were never done (like lowering the compression ratio!!!!!!) So suddenly realizing I had no idea at all what I really had, I removed everything from the car, and started over from scratch. I had wanted to go 034 at that time, but financially it wasn't in the cards. I promised myself if at the first hint it knocked or anything bad was going to happen because of the fuel system. Suprisingly, it works, and even though it's a black-box which I don't like, I think I'd rather spend my resources on PT'ing the UrQ than endlessly tinkering with the 7A CGT.

So there's the story. I guess the answer to Javad's ? is: Who knows what was done...

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
THAT engine came from THAT car!!!????? I saw it at Vortrag years ago, undergoing some work on it to try and correct some problems from the original turbo-ing. It disappeared after that (it was for sale at the time I think?). This had to be 5+ years ago, possibly more (it was at the old Vortrag shop if anyone remembers that).

I think that particular car had been in an accident or something, I remember Todd telling me that at one point the original block had been cracked.

Glad to know you got it working better, even though 90% duty cycle seems high (especially for the poor electrical quality Hitachi injectors the 7A uses, coils burn up from heat).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Alan,

Welcome to forum. I'm also new to it, but you're right about the quality of the members.

For some strange reason there is no discussion about dash wood trims, flower vases, or 22" wheels. :wink:

Cheers,

Carlos.

ps. I had the opportunity to ride on his 7A turbo. Granted it was raining, but for a car brake the wheels loose in 4th gear, and at the same time run very smooth, it can say a lot about one's automotive building skills.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know too much more about the history than what I posted. I do know it made it up to KAR at one point "to be appraised for insurance reasons" so there was some BS letter in all that documentation saying how wonderful it was and it was worth millions... :bullshits:

Good luck getting everything sorted out for Feb, Carlos. Melissa said she'd like to come with me to one of your rallys if she can work it out between work and school! :D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey, that CQ was in euro tuner, i have the issue laying around somewheres, at the time i thought that was a pretty sweet idea.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Yeah, on paper it was sweet. In person it was not...At least not when I saw it years ago. Looked nice, but didn't run so hot. It was getting better, and as Alan proved it runs WAY better now. Big thumbs up to him for working on it, and getting it "right"....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well obviously it didn't run right, i didn't see anything about an 034 runnin' it :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts