Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have been tuning on the 4.5l Ford V6 15:1C/R Running 034 EFI 2C
It is COP GM coils Cam sensor and VR 60-2.
Runs Great made 450hp N/A the only issue I am having is every now and then
when I start the truck I get a back fire and sputter before it runs.
50% it starts fine, 50% it back fires.
Could this be when I turn the 15:1 comp ratio motor the ECU guesses were TDC is
on the first rotation. Half the time it's right. half the time it back fires.

Is there a way to delay the ignition from firing when starting the engine?

Any other thoughts are welcome.

We don't want to break the starter or ring gear. there is a big race next weekend
and we want to kick some ass.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 12:1 VW also kicks back sometimes like you describe. I tried an alternate firmware that Architect sent me which requires the engine rotate a few cycles and lock sync before enabling ignition. This did eliminate the kick back from false trigger (when it kicks back it reads a bad Wdbg number), but it takes too long to catch. My engine starts almost instantly normally. The alternate firmware requires cranking for about 2 seconds, much longer than usual startup. I went back to the older version and live with it for now.

Steve

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
If you are on the latest firmware set your trigger wheel code to 160. This will require a complete rotation of good sync before ignition events.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
newt said:
If you are on the latest firmware set your trigger wheel code to 160. This will require a complete rotation of good sync before ignition events.
Thanks
Excellent that's exactly what I am looking for.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Steve Arndt said:
My 12:1 VW also kicks back sometimes like you describe. I tried an alternate firmware that Architect sent me which requires the engine rotate a few cycles and lock sync before enabling ignition. This did eliminate the kick back from false trigger (when it kicks back it reads a bad Wdbg number), but it takes too long to catch. My engine starts almost instantly normally. The alternate firmware requires cranking for about 2 seconds, much longer than usual startup. I went back to the older version and live with it for now.

Steve
Steve I'm running the 160 "strict" code engine make 2 maybe 3 revolutions (about 2 seconds) and starts right up. Though it does start quicker using 60 code (nearly immediately) to me it wasn't worth the risk of damage to my sheetmetal intake. Due to the extreme amount of valve overlap on my engine things got pretty ugly when it would bark back thru the intake.

·
Registered
130 Posts
By setting the phase table as a non wasted spark arrangement, and selecting "cam hall input" in config. screen wouldn't the ECU automatically look for a cam sync before making a trigger decision? Or is that not the way it works?

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
It won't wait for the cam sync, no, but it will 'use' it once it occurs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts