Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took my 94 S4 in to the alignment shop to have the control arms installed and a 4 wheel alignment. It took them 2 weeks....... The bushings on the sub-frame end of the arms were melted to the bolt, and the nylon nut on top of the mount in the subframe was stripped. So, they had to track those down, installed finally. But when they went to pull the car off the rack, it would not start. It turns over, but doesn't seem to have any resistance/compression and the fuel pump isn't kicking on nor the ecu. I figured it was the factory immobiliser, but they insisted it was not. So, he took the cover off the relays under the dash, and made a jumper between two of the points to run the pump and ecu. So I have to connect the jumper, then turn the key to start the car, and the car does not shut off with just the key. I don't know what they did, but it sucks and has added to my mountain on audi stress. :frustrated:

Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of issue? Could it be a relay, immobilizer, or something needs re-set. Also it is not throwing any codes....

Oh, and after all that time, they still didn't align the car because one of the inner tie rods was "Seized". Maybe I should look for another alignment shop? $500 later and my car is worse than when it went in.... :woowoo:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wouldn't pay them a damn thing.... They haven't done anything but make it worse. Which two points are they jumping? Could be the ignition switch possibly?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
There is no immobilizer on your car unless an aftermarket one was installed. And roger is right. Ignition switch is a likely suspect.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told them I would not pay for the electrical troubleshooting. The majority of the $500 was trying to get the old control arm bolts out of the subframe and getting new ones in. I'll post a pic of the two points he jumped. Is the ignition switch common to go out?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's a normal wear and tear item on any car. Think of it as a switch that you activate everytime you turn the car on and off. He probably put a jumper to make the ignition think it's on and then when you full turn it over it starts then when you disconnect the jumper it's back to thinking it's in the off position.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm confused about the tie rod thing note than anything else. Did they inform you of the issue, then present an estimate for the repair which you declined, or did they just call you and tell you to come get the car because they were done with it?

My S6 pulled onto my alignment rack just fine once this April, then went crank no start trying to get it off. The cam position sensor failed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They couldn't get the bolts out of the subframe because the bushings and threaded top was stripped. The bolts were mis matched and not put together right. So, they spent hours tryong to get the old arms off and hours putting the new ones on after finding the threaded part that goes on top of the subframe control arm mount. All put back together the car would turn and turn but no fuel or fire. So, they called me to say it stopped running and that they couldn't even align it because they could not break free the threads on the inner ends! So, 2 weeks, $500, and the car is still not right and not aligned, plus I get to look like I'm stealing my own car everytime I have to start it! Frusturating. Plug it in, turn the key and all runs, tach is still dead unless revving fast, oil light on even though it has plenty and pressure. Getting pretty tired of this... Coupe is still waiting on the head transplant... Heres what they jumped

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just drove it back from home to work. Turned off key, then un plugged it. When I pulled the key out the cluster lit up like a christmas tree, so I put the key back in and it magically starts without the jumper hooked up! Did it fix itself? New ignition switch?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I agree with rog on 2 things...replace the ignition switch (esp if history of said part is unknown...) and you cant really jump a failed CPS and make it run.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Replace that ignition switch ASAP! When mine failed it was in the start position & I needed to replace the starter after replacing the ignition switch.
Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or it's a goodtime to swap the AAN into the coupe and part the rare sunroof less s4 shell. If only I had the know how

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sounds like someone's having one of those days.... Something goes wrong on the car so it's time to get rid of it. Haha.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think we all have these feelings sometimes, being 30yrs old and an audi collector with a beer budget. Makes you question it sometimes, until you go through a tunnel at 6krpm, valves open, turbo howling, that you remember, these are not cars, art, or even mechanical objects, they're full of personality and soul. They get scornful, they seem to be receptive to the drivers emotions and match. I don't know, just babbling . Sell, don't sell, max out credit card to get em both tits, then sell one?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rogermoz said:
Sounds like someone's having one of those days.... Something goes wrong on the car so it's time to get rid of it. Haha.
I'll probably keep both until I go crazy. :frustrated:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.