Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some real trouble figuring out how to remove the wood trim by the driver's vent, behind the steering wheel.

From what I research, early 1989 dashboards did not have the same removable endcaps.

Which is unfortunate because looking at the later dashboards, the wood trim has screws that are accessible behind that region.

Anyone know what's the method to remove these wood trim panels?

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can look at my Bentley tonight, but these panels (on this vintage Audi) are typically held in place with embedded posts and nuts from the back. Prying on them will not work. If you can't get to the nuts from below or after removing the instrument cluster, you may need to remove the dash. I have no direct experience with this exact model.

·
Administrator
12,584 Posts
Yeah the earlier dashes are a different beast. The top pad doesn't separate like it does on the later dashes. I believe the whole dash needs to be removed and the trim is held on with the those clamp washers like on the B3 and C4. You may be able to just pry it off since it's trashed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I thought this forum might have been dead for solutions. Glad to know that isn't the case!

Looks like it will be an adventure. I'm hoping I don't have to take the dashboard to do it, but it might be likely.

I'll have to document my findings to add to our collective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So looking at the exploded diagrams, shows that these trim panels are indeed held in by these press-fit washers (green). The wood trim have posts that are held at various dashboard points (blue).

Looks like I won't be able to access them unless I do some significant disassembly.

Slope Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Urban design

1 - 5 of 5 Posts