1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

after some clutch advice after my SPEC stage 2 kit, pressure plate let go,

Happened on the start line at around 4-5000rpm

great launch, made up 7 positions, all going well till i needed to downshift at turn 2 and couldn't select any gears

The pressure plate has let go at one of the springs and the piece of cast steel has ended up under the diapghragm

time for some photos

So if you can educate me further, i was wondering if there were any pressure plates available that arnt cast steel?

what do you run in your car?

What are your thoughts on SPEC clutches?

should also mention this is a fully track prepped b4 quattro running a 2.6 v6 (essentially aah 2.8 with different crank) which only made 96kw last time it was on the dyno.

Thanks for reading/helping

Andy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I can also mention that I do have a Spec 3+ clutch and pressure plate on a 7A flywheel in my AAN powered coupe quattro. It's been thru an axle and 2 transmissions. No known issues yet, and I'm not sure if it's a cast PP like yours or not.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
That is really bad. The stage 2 I have lost one of the rivets holding the strap onto the pressure plate. I now have a stage 3 for my build. Its not running yet, so I cant say if it is holding up any beater or not.

Mine is a MC1 with 7a FW, and 01a trans. A little different than your setup.

Golden91CQ, AFAIK all the pp surfaces are cast steel from spec. Well at least on the bolt on upgrades.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a spec stage III in my Tdi, makes 300ftlbs at the wheels never had any issues in 20,000 miles. I never dump the clutch though I like my transmission too much...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
All the pressure plates that I've driven to pieces is due to harsh downshifts - that brakes the "springplates". Or - first the bend and warp and once that has happened they can't take abuse in any direction. I use a 4-puck sinter and slicks and I think that the combo of grippy tires and unforgiving solid clutch plate brakes those springplates. For me, I have to change the way I drive and I've also switched to a 8.5" (215mm) Tilton OT2 pressure plate. Using standard type clutchplates is just no good in anything but a standard car as I see it. Very happy with the Tilton setup and it's also very forgiving when loading the car onto a trailer or parking manouvers - guess that's 'cause of the big diameter, Tiltons are generally smaller. Also - no matter how "heavy duty" a clutch plate is, as long as it's a standard-type with those three pairs of springplats they won't work on track. Heavy duty means they can take loads of torque before they slip but they still can't handle anything in the other direction. the Tilton setup is as strong in both directions.

Once again, not saying that harsh downshifts with loads of engine brake is what killed it in the first place but it sure looks that way 'cause those springplates can't take that and they brake and once that happens - well, then all goes south...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.