Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came the time yesterday evening to load the car on the trailer, or so I thought.

It decided not to start!!!

Everything checked fine: have spark, have fuel (w/ 50psi pressure), the injectors click when I use a "manual" distributor, and nothing.

So, I pulled the plugs. They were all all wet black as of oil had contaminated them!

I've seen this but not with all 5 plugs in a car that all the breathers are connected to a catch can with its own air filter. It can't be possible that all rings a failing at the same time.

I did not rebuilt the short block, just replaced all the seals/gaskets.

So, I decided to abort going to the race at about 5am when I ran out of ideas.

Any of you guys have ideas about this.

From frustraded land Carlos reported...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Man that sucks, the wet black look was probably just from being over rich before when it was runnig and then 'flooded' when you went to start it up in the morning. As you sure you were geting a good hall signal from the dizzy in the engine? Could you see the tach needle moving as you were trying to start it?

If not you may have just been getting your cold start injection, and no further spark/fuel. Or were you getting spark when you were cranking it too? Dunno man, but that really sucks, it's always at the very last and most inconvenient minute that something like this happens. Oh well, now you'll have time to relax and get the sucker tuned up perfect before the next outing :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pistons were not rocking and the compression were under spec.

I'm going to do a leak down test.

However, after doing a little research, it could be a combination of rich fuel/air mixture + normail oil comsumption + plugs are too cold for the task.

I'm going to try a hotter set, reducing the fuel.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nate,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

It really sucks. This is what we call here our home event.
I was so excited, more so when they anounced that we (2WD cars) will start in front of the 400hp AWD (with a 15 min gap). These monsters create monster ruts. I couldn't wait to drive on level roads. Oh well...

The NASA East Rally Championship has one race a month until September, so I'll have other opportunities.

RPM shows with the dizzie on hand or through the installed one.

The injectors click in synch and there is fuel smell when I crank the engine.

There is spark when I turn by hand or with the starter.

I had the impression that the sparks were weaker when cranking the engine, so I replaced the wires and rotor besides the plugs.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey carlos, I wouldn't be surprised if your plugs were fouled and like nate said, your cold start settings are probably off. i went through a few sets of plugs when i first started out. funny thing is that sometimes we tend to over look the basics. no worries though, you'll get the hang of it and you'll be blastin' down the roads with glee soon :)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, sorry to hear about that, I've BTDT before, very frustrating.

Its odd if the car was running well before that your plugs could get fouled so badly, but as other suggested, try some new plugs, or clean up your current ones with a wire brush, and try leaning up your mixture a little. Also get that O2 connected so you can see approx where you're at mixture wise.

Keep us posted,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts