Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i had a fun weekend as an audi mechanic! Friday afternoon, pulled my NF head off the engine and tore it down. It's at the machine shop getting cleaned and spec'd and then i'll get it back to do some port matching before they do the valve job and assembly....

saturday night i got inspired and tore the head/manifolds/turbo off my car, i've got some pics cuz i got a new digi cam too! But then the harddrive on my home computer crashed so i won't have the pics for a little while. Found a HUGE crack in my EM, right off #4. Hopefully i can get that welded....

So parts will be here tommorrow and the head should be back by the weekend. I can't wait to get this all together! After pulling the head it was great to see how good of condition the lower end is in. Cylinder walls look great and there's very little carbon on the pistons. Everything looks really nice for 155k miles! :woowoo:

K, so one question i have....is there a special tool for installing ARP head studs? or do they just get turned in by hand then torqued on the nutz?

one more observation on the cooling holes in the head gaskets.....how come more of those depressions don't have the holes cut in them? For flow of the coolant? I was really suprised that both head gaskets i have to look at from the MC and NF only have the holes punched around #1 and #5. The one's around #5 make sense since it doesn't see air flow but you'd think there'd be smaller hole's around the rest?!

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey, i've got a decent turbo manifold that the crack has just barely started to develop. i don't need it since i'm making a header. lemme know

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey derek, how much you want for it? there's a parts guy here locally that i'm going to check with...i know he has 3-4 of them. If he wants a ridiculuos price i'll get back to you...

thanks
jeff

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i paid $75 for it. it was cleaned with something good, because almost looks new. i'd like to get out of it what i have invested. if you want some pics, PM me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts