Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into some ice racing, Aaron I know you're into it in the chilly season. My main question is what supplies do you use to stud your tires (if they are studded), and how long do the buggers last?

I've got a rather spent set of winter tires on some steelies just asking for a couple hundred studs and some open lake abuse.

Do you guys run inner tubes in the studded tires? I'm assuming if one is bolt-studing the tires a tube is rather manditory.

Just trying to figure out where to start shopping for hardware. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I used to ice race a Saab 99ems, I used specially made tires, that john menard makes. They are about $125 each, and have 0.75" studs molded into them. They are durable, I did two seasons of enduro road racing on a total of 6 tires, maybe 80 hours of racing total.

If you are still running 14" wheels, I might be able to get you a set of 4 good used ones for like $100 plus shipping if that interests you? Warning, they are heavy, about 1" solid rubber cap! The issue might be, the height and width of the tires is the same as a 155/80/15, and might not fit into your wheelwells without hitting?

If you are out east, look here for used tires, they are out in new york and might have some for you.
http://www.icerace.com/Classified's.htm

here are a few links of the tires and cars
http://www.iceracingthunderbay.com/studded_class.htm
http://www.iceracingthunderbay.com/Images/17.jpg
http://www.iceracingthunderbay.com/phot ... 000297.jpg

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

Yea the menards are the stuff no doubt. I'm going to try a new setup this year. I'm taking an old set of 205-50-15 bald summer tires,and stud them with bolts and ny-lock nuts. I'll use fender washers and windshield urethane
to help seal the tire. Your better off not using the inner tubes if you can help it. I've never had goodluck with the tubes,but maybe others have. I'm going to check out the ice in the morning to see if its ready to race on yet. Feel like coming up next weekend Nate? Maybe it could be a 034 event?

Aaron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ice racing sounds really interesting... Where do you guys do it(how far north do you have to be) and how much does it cost? Also discribe it alittle... Is it kind of like Auto-X on a lake?
Looks really fun though! 8)

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Aaron, I read your post in the Gatherings forum and am gonna try to make it this weekend. Let's hope I won't spend the day pulling the bumper on and off like last time we met. Not to mention the totaled S4 that day, Alex isn't planing this event too is he? ;) :p

As for the tires I was thinking the same thing you said, I've got some old 185/60-14's that wouldn't hurt my feelings if I drilled and studded them in the same mannor you mentioned.

I've got the same quextion as Andrew, how are you guys running your events this year? Timed at all? How many cars on the course at a time? Chances of folded sheet metel?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

Alex who? We will do time trials for the first half of the day and then go on to
Wheel to wheel. I'm not sure how many cars will be on at once ,but it will only be good drivers. We did it last year with no crunches at all. We weed the suckers out pretty quick on the ice. Its basically this..... If your looking to pass just wait until the guy in front f's up. We don't do the John Wayne passing with our daily drivers.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I was refering to the "Tragic VT Audi Gathering of 2003" planned by Alex VanGerbig last fall. 80% of the cars never showed, and half of those that did either a) were trailored in after loosing a tranny b) were pulled over and recieved $300+ in tickets on the way c) blew up several intake hoses, or d) crashed at 140+, and caught it ALL on tape via the passenger's camcorder...

As for the racing, sounds perfect :) I'm sure I'll be the dud up front holding you guys up for a bit though :D

Oh yeah, anywhere to crash(err... sleep) around there? It's almost a 5hr ride each way for me, so an overnighter would be the only way to go I think.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

Well I'm not sure yet about a place to crash,but let me see whats happening.
I pretty much tried to get some dubsnorth guys to attend,but I ended up getting S*&t from the car club guys so I poured gas on the bridge and set it on fire(metaphor). Were racing at Sandbar state park so if you do the map quest you should be able to find it. I'll get more info for you very soon.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Nate,

Sorry for the delay. Are you still coming? Let me know so we can discuss arrangments. I guess if you want to race with us on Sat,and then with Alex/SCCV on sunday you could easily do it. Let me know.

Aaron

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yo, looks like this weekend Nate's gonna be staying in Maine :x :(

At least there is a local club running on the ice this Sunday I think, I'll go check it out. I'll be sure to make it out there for some icecapades soon enough though!

I'll let you know if things change before tomorrow.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K, scratch that last post, plans are in flux.

As it stads at 0900 hours Mr Nate will try to get his ass over there early mornin. Gonna have to leave here at like 4:30 it looks like, OUCH!

Probably just gonna tough it out and drive back that night I think, rather than camp out somewhere and get back late Sun and be ready for work again on Monday. Can't wait, the 90 is in good shape for some racin at this point, aside from just having plain jane snows on it, should be good.

What kinda condition is the lake in? Are we gonna have big plowed berms, or is it pretty wide open with little snow coverage and lotsa "oh shit" runoff? :eek: :oops:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

Well the ice race went very well! No accidents or irate ice fisherman.
Our next GTG(haha I hate that) will be Saturday February 7th at the same location. We had problems with the timing control so we did some car control exercises instead. Its nice to get your skills back after a long year of pavement driving. It looks like Paul and I had the best setup with 1/2" ATV screws. I thought the turbo would be to much for the ice,but boy was I wrong. I could easily pull down 65 mph down a straight and swedish flick the car slideways for a nice drift to the next straight. Then my exhaust manifold studs backed out of #5,and #4 which killed my boost. Anyway I hope you guys can make it for the next event.Oh yea we also had the ladies out taking some runs. Pauls wife put the ood old woopin on some guy in a 4 wheel drive truck. She beat him so bad he left.

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
LOL, car chicks rule !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts