Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... so some background, i have a 85 CGT with an MC1 in it that is currently not running. It turns out i messed up the Mac11c wiring during the swap, but now it is in professional hands. I would like to go with the 034efi fuel only controller for cost reasons (i am a 17 year old high school student so i am kinda broke) but had a question, what are my options for ignition, can i run the stock 4k/cgt ignition, is there some way this system can be modified for retard under boost, or am i stuck with sorting out the Mac11 ecu wiring in order to have a knock sensor and some timing retard. I would really like to go with the efi.... but with my buget i wouldn't be able to pay someone to both sort out the mac 11c wiring and buy all of the efi components, I am hoping there is an alternative, and if there is i trust there is someone here who whould know about it. Thanks for the help.

Jared

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Sorry to hear your car isn't running. I'd say the cheepest possible ignition you can run for a boosted car is the stock 4kq with a boost timing master. Like this one from MSD.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... MSD%2D5462

It will not be perfect, but should work pretty well for the price. Why not try and sort out the MAC-11 yourself? Have you checked out Nates site? These conversions can be a pain when they don't start right up, but the I think you'll be better off in the end by troubleshooting it yourself. I'd try and get the diagnostic lights working so you can pull the codes.

HTH

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Jared, you can probably get away with the stock CISE ignition assuming your boost doesn't go over, say, 10-12psi. For the price of the MSD boost timing master, I'd say hold out and put the money towards IIb, which will give you full ignition tuneability, and you'll be ok up to mild boost levels with the stock ignition settings, run about 6d of initial advance and be sure to use the vacuum advance cannister (or that its functional because most of them are not.)

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts