Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hall sender was not working.

Well now it is(monitor shows RPM +- 170) when I crank it, but I
still don't have spark.
I tried to isolate the problem:

1. Replaced coil.(coil under specs)
2. Checked continuity of the trigger wire. Checked.
3. Put a spark plug in the coil to distributor cable, still no spark

Any ideas?

I'm sure that something here is wrong, but what?

The only difference than what I expected is that there is a little resistance between the battery ground and the ground trigger wire. I was expecting no resistance until a triggering situation happens.

TIA,

Carlos

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
what coil are you using, and how is it wired?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the OE coil from the KX engine.
I checked the specs and match all the ranges per Bentley.

I have the 12V the way it was with the CIS-E connected to the terminal 15. (and it does have 12V when the ignition is on).

I have the trigger (connector A pin 22) with one 1 ohm 10 watts resistor in series connected to the terminal 1 of the coil.

Nothing else.

Anything wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Carlos.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hey Carlos, very odd, so you see rpm on the screen but see no spark...hmm...very odd. Some ideas... Do you have the coil wired up properly? Is your coil grounded properly? The hall sender is pulsing correctly? What about the injectors, are your injectors firing properly? When you spin the dist. slowly by hand you should hear the ECU firing one injector at a time, is this happening correctly?

Keep me posted,

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
A real quick and dirty way to check that your coil is working fine is to plug a spark plug into it, disconnect your 034 trigger wire to it, and just very briefly jump it to ground then remove. You should see a nice snap.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Also if my above test works, and you're seeing a proper rpm signal on the ECU monitor, perhaps you can try running it w/o the resistor to see if that is the weak link.

But like Javad said, do this all with the dizzy out and spining it by hand, less variables, and much easier on your starter :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coil is well grounded, I think the injectors are being triggered. I smell gas. I removed the fuse for the fuel pump.

I tried Nate's coil test suggestion and an odd situation happened.

I have no spark at the spark plug connected to the coil, but I have the circuit working since I have a spark poping out of the wire when I close the ground to the terminal 1.

Do I have two defective coils? (one is brand new!)

Do I need a different spec coil? If yes what should I get?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Carlos.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Odd, that coil should work fine for this application, the spark should occur as you are actually removing the ground from the terminal.

That coil doesn't have one of the transistor 'boosters' on it does it? You don't want to use that at all if that's the case.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree this is pretty odd.

No there is nothing but the coil with the 12V on one side and a thick wire on the ground side.

If you have to buy a coil which one would you get?

I'm suspecting that the coil is the culprit.

Thanks again,

Carlos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a MC coil on hand.

Is there any coil I can get at a FLAPS that would do the trick? (Accel, MSD???)

I'm running out of time!!!

It got to be the coil after my last test!

Thanks for all the support,

Carlos.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nate suggested it and it is clear on Javad's wiring instructions.

The car is at very high RPM's for 10-20-30 minutes almost continously. So, It would help prevent coil overheat.

However, I'm not even going there until I have a "manual" spark produced w/o 034 interference, which I don't have.

I'm going to a FLAPS at lunch time and get a coil.

Thanks again,

Carlos.

ps. Just to clear things out. Which wires and where should I have connected to the coil to test it manually?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Carlos, any coils should work just fine, be sure you have the right terminals connected, obviously 15 is switched 12v continuous. The MSD blaster for about $25 should work just fine, the MC coil is brilliant, one of the best I've tested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts