Automobiles Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
are the "washers" still avail from the dealer? i still got a oem bushing and washer in a bag hehe

NEXT ITEM TO MAKE WILL BE THE SHIFT ARM WHEN THEIRS NO LONGER A SLEEVE TO CRUSH OVER THE WASHER! lol
sorry about the caps

glibobbo21 said:
are the "washers" still avail from the dealer? i still got a oem bushing and washer in a bag hehe

NEXT ITEM TO MAKE WILL BE THE SHIFT ARM WHEN THEIRS NO LONGER A SLEEVE TO CRUSH OVER THE WASHER! lol
sorry about the caps
i wnat an arm that has a heim in the end

glibobbo21 said:

sorry about the caps
I think they are, the dealer rep asked me if i wanted at least the washer after he came back from the "nla machine" when i tried to get that rubber last year.

Got mine on order yesterday. I appreciate your listening to your customers! :)

I doubt there's much of a demand for another bushing need of mine but it sure would be great if I could find some non-split inner sway bar bushings for an '85 4KQ. I found some urethane ones online but they desinigrated after a few months of use. :-(

Resurrecting an old post here to discuss the longevity of those bushings. A few years ago I bought 5 such bushings to service my family's fleet. The one in my father's 4Kq failed after a couple of years and the one in my Urquattro just failed (disintegrated); I'm guessing the one in my brother's Urq is likely at risk. I had 2 spare so pulled those out to replace my bad one and the spares were sticky feeling and clearly not in NOS shape, plus one may have a split in the material on one side. Sure enough, within 20 minutes of driving on the structually-sound replacement, it disintegrated. These cars are all garage queens that see very little active use. In fact my Urquattro has been down for a few years as I got married and then put an AAN into it. The garages aren't climate controlled, but they are attached to the houses so don't get excessively hot. The power steering racks are not leaking, which I know can be a common source of destruction to that bushing.

Has anyone else had problems with the quality of these bushings?? I know the part is inexpensive at $15, but they are not easy to replace and I would gladly pay more money for a part that will last longer than a few years. Perhaps I got a bad early batch and the later units have more better durability?

Please post your experience!! Also I'm going with another 034 bushing in the short term but would like to move to a more durable solution long term if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks, Eric

I put one of these in my v8 quattro several years back and I remember the shifting getting sloppy again in short order.

Wow!

My experience is completely different. I bought one for my 4KQ maybe 4 years ago(?) and it followed the engine to my current 80Q. The 4KQ was my DD 50% of the time, the 80 I daily about 90% of the time. So after ~4 years and many hundreds of trips (=thousands of shifts), it's as tight as the day I got it.

I wonder if you guys could be using a lubricant that's not friendly to the polyurethane?

When I installed mine I put a lot of effort into finding grease intended for use with poly and ended up using the grease Energy Suspension supplies with their poly bushings (it can also be bought separately). I'm not completely happy with it as it's very thick and sticky and affects the shifter feel a little, but at least the bushing has held up...

>>I wonder if you guys could be using a lubricant that's not friendly to the polyurethane?

Good suggestion on the grease. I just used Mobil 1 synthetic great. I will look for something more fitting with this next set.

However, the 2 bushings that I had spare never saw any grease for 2-3 years. They just sat in a dark parts box in the corner of my garage. So while grease may contribute, there are other issues.

Cheers, Eric

Ah... I didn't get that in your original post. So they died sitting in the box? That's awful.

I wonder if they had a bad batch of them or something.

Never had a problem with these bushings, I've had a bunch of 4000kq's and the only issue I have had is the actual ball that is stamped to the shift lever actuator on the shift rod that goes into the transmission, took a grinder cleaned around the base of stamped part, little mig welding on all of them.... Probably eliminates sloppiness by 100% easy to over look this, have someone actuate the shifter while inspecting the linkage, it will be apparent what's actually loose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading this thread back in July thinking "well at least my bushing has held up."

Nope! Completely disintegrated a few weeks back. I installed it a little over a year ago (15k miles), and it's completely gone now. It's a little annoying because I preventatively swapped out the old, intact bushing for this one.

Honestly I can't remember. I don't remember having done so, and if I did, then very very lightly. Amazingly, no PS leaks on the 200, though there does seem to be some engine oil in the area (not really on the bushing, though). In any case, it's very difficult to put into 1st and 2nd right now.

I'm looking into options for something a little more permanent at the moment, trying to avoid something that could degrade over time.

It's been maybe 2 years since I replaced the 200's bushing and it's toast. I used CV grease as you may have read. Just read that polyurethane only plays nice with lithium based grease so I'll be using white lithium spray for the new bushing arriving tomorrow tomorrow. Bought a spare as well.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.