So, a couple weeks ago I started to prep for firing it up by filling it up with fluids, checking the timing marks, hooking up the instrument cluster, etc. When I went to turn the key just to the accessories position to see if I was getting any power...I got nothing. It had been so long since I worked on the wiring, I forgot I never finished tying in all of the grounds.
Last time I worked on the wiring, I merged what was left of the 7A harness with the 3B harness, made the necessary connections and I left off with this. Even though all of the relays are connected, this wouldn't ultimately work because all of the wire looms are hanging down below and they need to be tucked up behind the relay panel.
So, I disconnected everything again and went for another try. Much better this time around. It's finally showing signs of life when I turn the key! So, swapped a couple relays and tricked the fuel pump to run to purge the air out of the lines. The system pressured up and I quickly found a good sized fuel leak on the line between the regulator and fuel rail. I was done for the weekend.
Fast forward to last weekend, I went to repair the fuel line. Having repaired another fuel line on this car, I figured this one might be similar. So, I cut out the section of braided line and replaced it with a new section of fuel injection hose and oetiker clamps.
After repairing the fuel line, I went back at trying to get it started. It was clear I wasn’t getting any fuel or spark, so I started doing some voltage/continuity checks. Something wasn’t right. After digging in a bit, I quickly realized I hadn’t finished a few more crucial electrical items…like putting in the fuses for the two ignition circuits. 🤦🏻♂️
That’s what happens when I pick up the wiring from where I left off over a year ago. After doing that, the thing started so smooth and idled very well.
So pumped right now. It’s been 3 years since I took it off the road.