Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i bought on and here it is. everything cept the knock sensor itself. only $50.52 including shipping. the knock sensor wire is fully shielded and there's more then plenty in the length of the wires. it is designed to hook up to a volvo knock sensor, which i got a couple of out at the wrecking yard.

I can't wait to hook it up. funny thing is though, this is something i don't really want to see blinking :p

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Nice!

Please let us know your post-install impressions of the thing. Not that I want you to make it blink or anything :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Keep us posted.

I also bought one, but I have the feeling that it will take some time before I'll be installing it. :)

The guy who makes/sells it is a really nice guy.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i testd it out this morning. i hooked it up to my battery and adjusted the sensitivity, and then lightly tapped it with my screwdriver, and viola' it blinked.
one word of caution carlos: it's one of those clear LEDs that burns your retinas out when it goes off :D, so careful where you aim it!!

·
Super Moderator
7,644 Posts
Hmm, I was just looking a little closer, does that thing have an rpm input? This is key on the Saab APC's because it filters out all other noise. Without it hooked up on my car the light will blink above 4500 rpms eventhough there's no knock.

So I guess what I'm saying is you might see alot of noise through it, and have to reduce the sensitivity, which might miss some early knock hits.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Ya, I was wondering the same thing. I don't have any experience with this product, but I've seen similar units at SEMA, etc - its funny, becuase they were demoing the unit by having people hit the knock sensor with a piece of metal, when the light would blink they'd say "See, it works!"

Funny, I thought it was a knock sensor, not a metal rapping sensor

:bump:

Anyhoo, that's one of the reasons we've resisted adding knock sensing to the 034 units, its very difficult to get a knock sensor tuned properly to the acoustics of a particular application, it takes extensive testing to ensure that you're filtering the right frequencys, etc.

Keep us posted on how this sucker works, the APC work, I can testify to that.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here's some install pics.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
s'more

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Nice install :p

I can't really tell from your pics, but FYI, the knock sensor shouldn't have any washers under the bolt, and be sure the bolt is precisely torqued to 15-20 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, there's no washers. it's the flare style head, stock from the volvo.
ant tuning tips for me on how i should dial it in? i know you haven't had one of these before, but i guess I'll just set it at it's lowest setting and see what happens. :)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Well, first off do you have any audible pinging? If you do, you could find some correlation there, but that's the problem with one of these things, the kind of detonation that you want to ensure isn't there (the kind you can't hear), is impossible to tune for, whether its your ears or one of these devices. Usually I tune advance up until audible pinging, then dial back 3-4d from there to ensure its safe. You're not tuning your ignition, no way to do it with the MC system, so unless you can hear it, its going to be hard to deal with.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, up until today i never had any audible pinging :p , i think it's because I have my lower kickpanel off and i can hear the engine better. i started out with the sensitivity at the minimum, and sitting still i could rev it up and it would blink and stuff, so i adjusted it a bit more and drove it. it would blink under acceleration, so i stopped and adjusted it all the way, it stopped blinking until I was at about 5500rpm doin' 90 and 10psi boost. it made a little tinking sound, not like the usual rattling-pinging I've heard before.

I still haven't installed my bigger injectors, so hee hee :D i don't know if I'm running lean up on the top end. it just runs good and doesn't make any noises, so, i'm pushin' my luck til I do it all up with my goodies.

my buddies 89 jetta coupe with stock digifant II 9.1:1 C/R pings more in two minutes of hard driving then I've ever heard out of my engine in 8 months of wailing on it. so, I dunno....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i do, but that's called a bright flash in the dark my friend. wait til this summer after i been out riding quads in the dunes, i become jamaican mon :p

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may be a simpleton, but that's ok. at least i'm not a dope, wiz. I never said you were from jamaica :roll: .maybe someone else, but not me. i read my posts two times to make sure that most people can understand them.
reread the post, if you still don't see it, then please continue about your ignorant ways my friend :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts