Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what others have done as far as fitment in the ellipsoid RS2s for leds/hids within the housing, before I go ahead and drill out the housing to fit the led bulb and come up with some grommet/seal to cover the hole afterwards.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hid's all I did was fit them like a normal bulb and you have to mod the cover behind and find a place to put the ballast and that was about it. Theres a relay that sometimes needs the pin removing but its hit/miss on which cars require this until fitting. I also put hid's on the fogs at the same time. Both worked good, the highbeam was not really needed and didn't make much difference.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete82 said:
Hid's all I did was fit them like a normal bulb and you have to mod the cover behind and find a place to put the ballast and that was about it. Theres a relay that sometimes needs the pin removing but its hit/miss on which cars require this until fitting. I also put hid's on the fogs at the same time. Both worked good, the highbeam was not really needed and didn't make much difference.
Thanks Pete, I'm going to look into it and see what kind of modification I can do to the housing without compromising sealing and preventing moisture/dirt getting into it I can't return the LEDs I got from morimoto, so leaves me no option but to make them work. Most likely have to make some sort of grommet to seal it if I have to bore out the back of the housing a bit.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mbsjr92 said:
Thanks Pete, I'm going to look into it and see what kind of modification I can do to the housing without compromising sealing and preventing moisture/dirt getting into it I can't return the LEDs I got from morimoto, so leaves me no option but to make them work. Most likely have to make some sort of grommet to seal it if I have to bore out the back of the housing a bit.
Why can't you return the LEDs!?! Just a fyi, they are worthless compared to HIDs. LED bulbs might be brighter then HIDs but the length of illuminating the road in front of you is shorter with LEDs compared to HIDs.

Going from memory when I had my CQ with RS2 headlights....I wasn't able to fit the HID ballast inside the headlight housing. What I ended up doing was cut a hole big enough to push the HID bulb through access cover and used the supplied HID rubber grommet to seal the made hole. Then I used waterproof silicone to seal around the wires and rubber grommet for added protection.

My suggestion is if you can't return the LEDs, put them up for sale on FB or CL and buy a good quality HID kit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Out of curiosity why do you think that the LEDs don't light as far as HID? Did u test them side by side?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The ballasts I just put underneath the rear of the headlights (not inside the headlights just to be clear) there is a recess space on the passenger side and I think the drivers I put on one of the supports. I will be doing this again at some point as I have a few sets of ellipsoids now for my projects. Its a shame photobucket sucks otherwise I could have added the pics I have from when I had a set fitted to my previous s2 and showing the light output.

Led's I've heard mixed views, some love them some hate them, I've heard the beam isn't projected as far as hid's and the pattern is (its hard to describe) but very straight unlike normal bulb dispersal so cornering is harder. I personally cannot comment about this as I've yet to try them but I have looked into them in the past. You could try fit them and see how you feel before cutting the covers on the back of the lights as they are like pretty much 95% of old audi stuff NLA.

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Pete82 said:
Its a shame photobucket sucks otherwise I could have added the pics I have from when I had a set fitted to my previous s2 and showing the light output.
You can upload your pictures in your gallery on here

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm trying to find the pictures I have showing the distance with hids, I know I took some years ago when I first got my s2. If I find them I'll upload them.

and showing the difference in color between hids and standard

Also remember if fitting ellipsoids to a non ellipsoid car you may have to move one of the wires on the stalk so if you put main/highbeams on the ellipsoid projector does not turn off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input , I'll most likely try to find a decent set of hids with a compact ballast to keep it hidden and out of the way, and work on getting the leds back to morimoto. Pictures were a huge help. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mbsjr92 said:
Thanks for all the input , I'll most likely try to find a decent set of hids with a compact ballast to keep it hidden and out of the way, and work on getting the leds back to morimoto. Pictures were a huge help. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome. Smart choice. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts