Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks I'm on my way to the dark side.

I'm going to start the installation of a IIb this weekend.

For the ones that don't know my car is a 87 Coupe GT prepared for Rally Group 2 (< 2.4L, 2WD, NA with almost free preparation).
I just finished swapping in a new engine and transmission, the specs are:

Engine: 2.3L NF, Ported/Polished Cylinder Head, HD valve springs, 3 Angle Valve Job, 272 Camshaft, Adjustable Camshaft Sprocket.

Transmission: Front Wheel Wdrive Modified ABV Code Audi Transmission, close and shorter ratio, Phantom Grip LSD.

If you have any question let me know, cause I'll have a bunch pretty soon.

Cheers,

Carlos.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
CS_Rally said:
Hey folks I'm on my way to the dark side.
Hi Carlos, welcome to the dark side :D

You'll be the first 034 stage IIb user to my knowledge that is installing the ecu on a non-turbo engine.

Makes total sence to be competitive in your class, I'm sure the tuneability will help you to wring as much performance as possible with your mods out of the eninge.

Feel free to fire away with questions, we'll all to our best abilities pretend to come up with good answers :lol:

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i got a question,,, the LSD that your using, will that fit the quattro diffs, front and rear possibly? and how much was it? and where did you get it?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It fits any 093, 013 and 016(FWD and Quattro) front differential.

I bought for about $300 on Ebay. From a guy that resells them.

I also ordered with the "racing" springs.

I haven't had a chance to test it, but the fastest guy in the country in my class uses and is really happy with it.

Since Quaiffe is not an option for me (it doesn't work in very low grip condition) the only other 2 options left were either weld the differential(not fun to drive on the road) or a ZF disc platted LSD (= $$$).

So, for the money I decided to give it a shot.

Later,

Carlos.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well, let us know how it works out. I primarily use my car on pavement (ie. my car is too nice to rally) but when I exit a corner hard in the wet it's pretty easy to get the inside tires going :D , but If the trade off for traction is something that shatters or shakes, I'm afraid I'll be sticking with the stock diffs and wait for some quaifes. another bummer about the diffs is, it's almost impossible to do anything that even resembles a donut :frustrated: , at that point, my car becomes plows so much i should just rent it to a farmer :lol:

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Definitely let us know how that works out, for that money I'd seriously look into it. Inside wheelspin is more and more a problem, espeically on the tight autox courses.

And darracuda, as far as doing donuts... three words: Left Foot Braking.
My 90 comes around reeeeaall easy with a touch of the left foot and the right on the gas, just ask TurboCGT, he saw one of my 'experimental' runs in the 90 at an autox. I was running with open diffs and left foot braking to 'steer' the rear end. Last two turns I was 4 wheel drifting all the way around driving through the side windows (yes I know that aint the fastest way around, but I was grinning for the rest of the day :-D)

Sadly the rear tires gave up the ghost with that run and I had to sit out the rest of the day so I would have enough rubber to limp home.... and barely had enough for that :D

:eek: :tard:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
:slap:
lol
thats what happened with my UR-Quattro
lets just say Toyo Proxes live up to there name
also bunrt my clutch on :stupid:
no biggie
changed it and did more drifting...
car park + rain + urquattro = Sammy with a big ass grin and fear of neighbourhood patrol giving him a ticket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts