Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to hunt down the power steering pump hose from the pump to the pressure accumulator (bomb). It's not leaking but the integrity in one point has me very concerned; the inner section of the line is starting to show.

I also managed to shear off one of the flanges on the pulley piston trying to remove it with a puller. My front gasket is leaking. This is probably a long shot, but if someone has an old pump with a good flange they wouldn't mind parting with...

My pump is early model, however, I think the pulley is the same across the early/late.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
have your local hydraulic shop make you a new hose. My son's early coupe has the old pump and bomb with crush washers. We had a new style bomb, so had the local hydraulic shop make a hybrid hose with the old style crush washer at the pump and o ring at the bomb

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good alternative. I'm going to go this route. Hopefully they can make something work. Lately "custom" does not mean quality so I'll have to do some research on a reputable hydraulic shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In 20 years of CQ ownership, I don't think I've had such a difficult time taking out a fastener. The high pressure hose fitting at the rack has almost no space. Just enough to get a stubby 19M wrench. I've been at this for 4 hours and all I've managed to do is twist the hard-line into a ball. The coupling part will not break! Torch, Kroil, cheater bar, nothing! fvck I had these cars!

is

·
Super Moderator
4,096 Posts
just wait till you have to put it back.... the return line is a bitch

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of cutting it at the end but I'm not sure there is enough space. My circular cutting wheel certainly will not fit. Almost like a very special cutter with small but strong jaws.

The working space is incredibly small, even by old Audi standards. True torture. You need an army of serious tools to get this thing out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
varia said:
just wait till you have to put it back.... the return line is a bitch

Got the bastard out. Now return line seems to be cross-threading, after the little crush washer falls off 4 or 5 times. :barf: HA!

Oh yeah, one more - the M16 high-pressure banjo bolt head snaps on torque, 37 ft-lb per Bentley. Nice and easy waiting for the click and just :?

You can't make this shit up Varia!

·
Super Moderator
4,096 Posts
Whenever I converted a CQ or 90 to vacuum brake, I had to replaced the PS return line (B4 cabriolet).
So I know first hand, its a bitch.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm panicking a bit now on that return line banjo. The angle is tough, space, nil, I'm not sure how many of the female threads I ate. I'm very worried because getting a tap in there is going to be a disaster. And I'm trying to eyeball it to get to to chase right but I have to put torque on it and it's all by feel. Threads on banjo don't look bad...

Not good *at all*.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts