Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys so i've been driving my car at stock boost levels....meaing stock WG spring....no chip etc.... :slap: Obviously i'd like to crank up the boost, cuz stock isn't that much fun. :D

All along i've been assuming i need to chip the mac11 but does chipping change the ignition maps? Obviously the fuel doesn't matter. Cuz of MS. I left the mac11 iin charge of the fuel pump so i'd have overboost protection but i'm not that worried about it now. Easy enough to regulate with my foot. So i can easily run the wires out of MS and cut the one's for the fuel pump control off the stock harness and wire them into MS. Probably can still use the stock relay then. Just change the wiring and i won't have to worry about the fuel cutoff..... which from what i understand is the bulk of what a chip does.

So who know's just how the Mac11 works? It'll still have to be incharge of ignition....how much does it retard the timing at stock full boost?

Thanks Much
Jeff

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
It really depends on the chip. Some aftermarket chips just defeat the fuel pump cutout, other(good ones) remap the timing. The stock timing maps flatline at ~1.6 bar, and from then on you're at a static timing point. I don't know exactly what that point is, only that you're not getting anymore boost compensation beyond that.

I'd rewire the FPR cutout to the MS and maybe stick one of Charlie Smith's 1.6bar WG springs in there, those usually get you to 1.7-1.8bar, and that boost level apears to be just fine with the stock MAC11 timing tables. The timing map isn't ideal, meaning there is more power to be had, but chances are you aren't going to damage things due to timing alone. There are a ton of 'zenered' 5ktq's out there running 1.8+bar and still pluggin along, plus you have the ability to tweak your mixture a little rich to ensure a detonation free CC, at the expense of some ponies of course.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if that's the case....then i'm gonna just get a good chip. Cuz i definetly want to run more boost than that. I can already get up to 1.5 and feather it on the edge of 1.6. I'm in the process of modifying my WG cap with a bolt for boost control and will eventually run a 2.0 or 2.2 spring. And yeah i need to wire the fpr to MS.

So does the QLCC code available from the "list" remap timing? or do i need to go to SJM, or IA for that?

Javad or jim green....or someone who might know this....is there a point where the timing is "fully" retarded regardless of the boost? or does it continually retard farther with more boost?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts