Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends,

I fell victim to the "free magazines" scandal. I opted to receive 3 magazines for 3 months on a trial period. I never cancelled. I was away at college for the time and they were still being sent to my house. When I came home for Holidays, I never thought twice about the magazines. :(

They will not cancel my contract, I owe roughly $400 for magazines that I have not received yet which they collect monthly at $40. They say I am legally binded to pay. I guess I could stop paying but that'd hurt my credit score. Right?

I want to cancel my contract but they won't let me. How can I do this? A cease and desist letter from a Lawyer? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It helps to read the contract and realize what your getting into.

Unless the contract violates state or federal law, getting out of it unscathed will be nearly impossible. You either quit paying and suffer the consequences (bad credit, collection agencies etc), or fullfill your contract and be the wiser.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scottmandu said:

Unless the contract violates state or federal law, getting out of it unscathed will be nearly impossible. You either quit paying and suffer the consequences (bad credit, collection agencies etc), or fullfill your contract and be the wiser.
Thanks for the input. The only credit I'm building for myself is paying off student loans. In other words, I hardly have any credit. Is there anyway to know how much not paying this will impact my future credit score? I'm clueless about this stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I guess I can't complain the,n somehow I have a subscription to "Vogue" I never ordered...on the flipside this month's 1-1/4" thick (and yeah it's that thick) has Jennifer Lawrence on the cover. Man can not live on Bently manuals alone.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Rallyfreak202 said:
scottmandu said:

Thanks for the input. The only credit I'm building for myself is paying off student loans. In other words, I hardly have any credit. Is there anyway to know how much not paying this will impact my future credit score? I'm clueless about this stuff. Thanks.
IMO you should pay it off. Little crap can come back and bite you later. My woman had some tiny (like $60) charge from a library book from when she was in high school in St Louis. It halted the progress on getting a mortgage until she could find the library and pay it off. Blows for sure, but i would pay it off and call it a shitty way to learn a lesson.

·
Registered
435 Posts
death 4kqt said:
Rallyfreak202 said:
scottmandu said:

IMO you should pay it off. Little crap can come back and bite you later. My woman had some tiny (like $60) charge from a library book from when she was in high school in St Louis. It halted the progress on getting a mortgage until she could find the library and pay it off. Blows for sure, but i would pay it off and call it a shitty way to learn a lesson.
I agree, short money compared to the havoc it will cause on Your credit report down the line....It's not like the days when You could order Your free with one penny 8 tapes from Columbia Record and Tape club and then blow 'em off.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
death 4kqt said:
Rallyfreak202 said:
scottmandu said:

:stupid: It doesn't take much to Drop your score. It take a lot to raise it. With the little amount of score you have, that one default / Collection would likely put you into the high risk category for any future loan. Think of it this way, Pay it off and you are out $400.00. Dont, and the next time you want to get a car loan to buy that car you really want, you will be paying way more than that $400.00 in additional interest. If you want to boost your credit, pay it off. And then have somthing else besides student loans. They will give you a score but many lendes dont really consider them as valid credit. IE...in the car business, if you have only student loans you would not be able to buy a car on your own unless you put a lot down, or had an obscene interest rate.

HTH

·
Registered
289 Posts
think about it,
if all you've paid with credit is student loans, and a fault on a magazine, one out of two things on record was a fail.

Sorry to say but I would start reading that stupid magazine :x :dur: :curses: :x :frustrated:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.