Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, well i got my Nf head on today....now just to get everything hooked up!

It's all going smooth except i'm worried about the ARP head studs....torqued them three times, 30, 50 and 65....the only thing is i went back again to double check the 65 and they never really snugged up like you guys said they would. From 50 to 65 there wasn't much difference and when i did 65 again, no change.........so i went a little over that and continued...but now i'm worried!!

i should have pics up tommorrow....can't wait to drive her again!!!! gawd i miss my boost!

waddya think?
jeff

oh yeah....forgot i'm using a craftsman torque wrench...that's what makes me worried, not sure if it's accurate...one of those $65 one's....the only problem with the snap-on's the school's shop has is that they get left at 130 FT-lbs all the time so they get worn out!!!!!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Jeff, usually the re-torque is in the context of a heat cycle, have you done that?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i was wondering about that....no i haven't. I'll get around to that today.

Thanks much javad
jeff

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, run the engine to its operating temp, let it cool completely, like overnight, then do the retorque, one at a time

Also, don't overtorque those things, I've seen people actually crush a head overtorqing ARP studs, they just dont' stretch.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good thanks for the tips!

well it's all together....bumped the starter and it fired right off!!! I have to admit i was more than a little nervous doing that. I've never had a car engine apart that far, so i'm more than a little happy that it works! :bump:

so now to retorque the head studs a couple times and hopefully drive it for a while! then get serious about tuning......

so now i've got-
NF head
arp studs
20V HG
new lifters

i'd just like to say thanks to all you guys who helped me out with questions at one point or another. jim, myke, and javad especially.

cheers
jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts