Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's opinion on MS?

I have a kit already assembled and plan on using it on my 5ktq.

Pro's and con's?

Steve

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i'm out the loop on this mega squirt, is it another efi program?

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I have no personal BTDT with the system but I've heard good things about it. On the positive side:

-cheap

-large helpfull user base

-ongoing development (anybody can add a feature, the beauty of any "open source" project)

on the negative side:

-no commercial support. You may have to wait for an answer to a question and furthermore might not GET an answer. Plenty of people have installed the system on Ford V8's and the like but not very many 5 cylinder setups, especially with the "Megajolt" system which is the ignition equivilent of megasquirt.

-DIY(could be a positive I suppose): you have to put it together and be reasonably handy with a soldering iron

So I guess if I was going to EFI an old snowmobile or something I'd give megasquirt a try. Not trying to knock the system at all, I'm definitely all about open collaborative projects like that... I just felt that 034 was a better choice for my first go at an EFI conversion for my 4ktq.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yeah, i checked it out, and,well, personally I have enough trouble figuring out how to get a decent intercooler on my car with out hacking the nose off, so assembling and hoping that an efi system will work is just a little too risky for me, at leats until I get my own personal electronics R&D center full of rocket scientists :wink: . remind me to thank javad for the development and technical of the 034.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

What about SDS(simple digital systems)? A friend of mine is using it on an Opel GT road racer with excellent results. http://www.sdsefi.com/
The website has a ton of DIY stuff.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sds doesn't support 5 cylinders.... just even numbers...

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Hey,

What about SDS(simple digital systems)? A friend of mine is using it on an Opel GT road racer with excellent results. http://www.sdsefi.com/
The website has a ton of DIY stuff.

Aaron
well take it from me
after months of research...SDS is nowhere near 034EFI
after the coil packs...that sorta did it for me.
you control SDS with a lil pad....right..
i like my laptop thank you

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey,

sds doesn't support 5 cylinders.... just even numbers...

Wrong!! The fuel only system WILL do 5 cyl,but the fuel and ignition will only do even #'s. The ignition is a wasted spark system and you cant use half of a magnet for a trigger.

well take it from me
after months of research...SDS is nowhere near 034EFI
after the coil packs...that sorta did it for me.
you control SDS with a lil pad....right..
i like my laptop thank you

I guess I don't even need to start tearing your theory apart.
:stupid:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its nice to have an opinion Wiz,but lets try and back it up with good clear info rather than the fact you like your laptop better than an LCD screen.
Its not that different than the 034 stage IIa. Trust me I've installed/helped install 4 034 systems ,and I've seen the SDS up close. Hows that for research?

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
:frustrated: DOH!!

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
iduaobrut said:
Its nice to have an opinion Wiz,but lets try and back it up with good clear info rather than the fact you like your laptop better than an LCD screen.
Its not that different than the 034 stage IIa. Trust me I've installed/helped install 4 034 systems ,and I've seen the SDS up close. Hows that for research?

Aaron
so which do you like?
and if its 034EFi...then that was my point qall along?

p.s. if you like SDS ,Javad should run you over witha certain turbo80

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like the 034,EMS,SDS,MegaSquirt,Haltech,etc etc etc. The point is if you look carefully they are all basically doing the same thing. Each one has a feature that the other might not have,but they do the same thing.
I like the 034 because it has been geared more towards the Audi enthusiast,and the Audi support group is very nice(Nate,Javad,JimG etc etc etc). Its basically a matter of preference in my opinion. Hell the SDS system is used on experimental Aircraft! Hows that for a testament. I'm sure 034
would also run an Airplane engine. Fuel Managment - Moped,lawnmower,
rototiller,car.Whats the difference really? Internal combustion right?
Personally I do like the SDS system because it has no laptop.
Ever try tuning your system while your pulling 10 psi with the laptop in your....well lap? Its a pain! The down side to the "lil pad" is that its limited in what you can adjust/program. See +/- no matter what you do its a trade off.
Javad has done a super job no question!

Aaron :wink:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Wrong!! The fuel only system WILL do 5 cyl,but the fuel and ignition will only do even #'s. The ignition is a wasted spark system and you cant use half of a magnet for a trigger.
opps... my understanding from the site was that 5 cyl wasn't supported... but I did see that it specified that odd cylinders wouldn't work with the ignition.... guess i should have figured :frustrated: oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts