Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, My roomate showed up last night with this nice looking 4000cs he found for $500 after we where talking about doing a 4000 turbo build this winter. He said it was mine if I wanted it. I'd just have to pay him back the what he paid for it. Runs like a champ and he drove it 220 mi. home. It has VERY little rust. Especially for being a northern car all it's life. Great chassis to build a budget street toy out of.

Some quick basic questions!

1. What is the bolt pattern? I believe it's 4x100, but I'm not sure.
2. What are some good adjustable suspension options? Budget is a factor here.

I need to get it at least daily-drivable for now so I can do some work on my 200q, and still have something to get to work in.

After that It's getting ripped apart for an MC swap with Megasquirt. I want to build it for autocross-type driving, with my goal as 2500 lbs. and 300hp....On a budget.

Things it needs:

I need a set of engine/trans mounts...Badly (PM me if you have some for cheap!)
Tires suck
New fuel lines all the way back as there are leaks in a few places.
All new brake lines, as they are rotten, but not leaking yet.
all 4 struts and the front upper mounts are shot.
LR ball joint is bad.
RR wheel bearing has quite a bit of play.

If you have any good info or parts for me, send a PM.

·
Registered
686 Posts
1. Its 4x108
2. H&R if you just want springs or adjustable coilovers can be made real easy or you can do what I have, Eibach Ground Effects adjustable coilovers.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
There is also the BG spring option. What are you guys planning for the engine? 10vt or 20vt??

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its most likely getting the MC2 out of one of my parts cars.
For right now, I'm mostly trying to get it drivable. My main concerns are the engine/trans mounts and tires.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
damn, nice score for $500!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With some more looking over the car, I have a few more questions.

1. Whats supposed to hold the instrument cluster in?

2. What is this thing with a cable going into the firewall and what does it do?

3. Who's Idea was it to put the damned air filter under the fuel distributor, and impossible to get to?!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Man, you have some of the same issues I've had to deal with. :)

1. There's a screw on either side of the cluster. Most likely the two tabs have broken off (I can see the screw still in the dash in the pic). I'm working on a good way to fix mine which is like that.

2. That's the heater control. The cable goes to the bottom lever on the climate controls inside the car. My first 4kq was missing the cable so I had to pull over and manually open or close that valve if I needed to. :tard:

3. I completely agree with you. That's why both of my 4kqs have a little triangular piece cut out of the sheet metal so I can change the air filter just by unsnapping the box and lifting the top up. I'm sure that would freak some people out, but it's never caused a problem for me. Just be sure to get some paint on the wound. :wink:

-Rog

EDIT: If I may borrow your picture for a second, the red lines are where I cut:

If you're really paranoid you can always add some extra bracing in there, but honestly I think they only rounded the corner like that to be annoying. :roll:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been working on replacing all the leaking fuel lines this weekend and I need a few parts to finish it off.
The brackets for the filter and pump and what looks like the regulator are all rotten. So rotten, it's all held together with mechanics wire and zip-ties. :roll: The pump and regulator still seem to work fine, but they are pretty crusty-looking. Does anyone have these brackets and parts in decent condition? Send me a PM

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
sounds like you need autohausaz, 034, not to buy parts on mg..dont buy bushings/mounts used unless theyre used 034 updated(motor mounts, etc) u dont know what theyve been through in the past life, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a trip down to the cities today to pick up some new goodies.

a complete set of five 17x7.5 Momos. :D

Guess how much I paid for them.....

Go on...

$300.00

I :heart: Craigslist!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a bunch of pictures and videos from working on this.

This is from when we first got it home and started looking it over. The music in the background always seems very fitting.

These pictures where taken when I was replacing all of my fuel lines.

And from getting the rims home tonight.

Getting the first one on the car:

After it's on the ground:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nice car. Keep up the good work! Make sure you change that fuel filter while you are in there.
check out the control arm bushings, if they are ok, make sure you get a good alingment after you do the wheel bearings. Id suggest doing the bearings in pairs at the very least.
Check the fire wall for cracking around the clutch MC. 034 makes a nice brace for that.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
On the JT/KX motors just remove the headlight and snake the filter out that way. Thats the way I always did it, quick and easy.

Car looks good, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AudiSport4000 said:
just remove the headlight....quick and easy.
those two statements don't belong in the same sentence when most cars are simply..Remove filter.

Anyway, I got mad at it and attacked it with my Dremel just as Rog shows in the pics earlier. It is now down to "Remove filter"

The car is on hold for a bit while I'm tied up with keeping my DD 200Q daily-drivable, and removing the engine from my donor car.
The engine runs absolutely perfect now that it isn't leaking fuel all over though, and the strait piped exhaust made it fun to rip around the neighborhood with, Even if it's still slow as poop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Air filter is easy to take out.Please don't cut anything.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
BloodRed said:
AudiSport4000 said:
Even if it's still slow as poop.
Advance the timing a few degrees. It's free, and helps a little in the 'it's slow' department. 8)

·
Registered
991 Posts
spions said:
Air filter is easy to take out.Please don't cut anything.
1. :lol: That's a good one.

2. Why not? If it makes it easier to change the filter it will actually get done once in awhile. And in my opinion that outweighs the tiny scrap of missing sheet metal. If you do it pretty, most people won't even notice. It's not like we're dealing with rare Duesenbergs here anyway.

-Rog

1 - 20 of 59 Posts