Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This URS6 avant showed up at my garage with a severe water issue that caused the ECU to fry, the immobilizer/central locking module to crap out, among other things the ECU connector is so corroded that the wires broke off of the back of the connector, the paint is worn off the roof, the front bumper cover is missing the grill's and is partly broken, the glass is cracked on both headlights, it has some rust as the paint is scabbing in some spots, the interior is like a 7 out of 10 and havnt heard it run yet so any of the mechanical aspects of it i have no idea. it did run and drive up until the passenger floor flooding. the thing has 240,000 miles on it as well. only modification is that it has bilsten shocks and H&R springs on it which was done years ago by the current owner. i told the owner that i've always wanted one of these cars and he told me he'll sell it but he wants to put 50,000 more miles on it first. this thing is and has been a work car which means it gets driven ALOT. anyhow im trying to figure out what it is worth in the real world because kelly blue book says its worth like 12,000 still. i've seen them in this shape go for a 1000.00 to 3000.00 before on audifans.com. i understand there was only 300 of these imported as well as i have another one thats a friends stored in my shop thats still in show room condition with barely a 100,000 on it. anyhow what do you guys think its worth as it sits?

here's a few pics i took of it.




I've has a set of porsche twists sitting that i tried to sell with no luck so i tried them on the S6 avant. i like it but i think they need a slightly larger tire size. there's a 205/40/18 on them now that i didnt put on them and i think a 215 or 225/45/18 would make it look perfect. a set of porsche brakes in front would fill out the wheel nicely too.


as for when i take ownership i plan on removing the tan interior and installing 93 S4 black interior with the carbon fiber trim as i have a whole S4 parts car, throw some tint on the windows, i want to switch out the rear end with the S4 one so i have the manual locking rear end, do a stage 1 chip set, build an intake but i'll probably just put a K&N drop in for now, build a nice sounding 3in exhaust, i have a 31X12X3 universal front mount intercooler that i'd like to install to utilize the missing bumper grills but i do have the aluminum cross over pipe and aluminum end tank intercooler from the S4 that i would install just to get the plastic crap off of it for now. thats all a bit of work but its not that bad since i have all of the parts laying around already. after all that i think it would make a pretty nice daily driver as my current daily is a 1992 GTI with an OBD2 VR6 swap in it, i've driven that car for 7 years in the summer months and when the snow hits i drive my AAN swapped 84 4000 quattro. i think this avant could take place of both cars doing year round duties so my MK2 VR6 can sit and rot away and i can focus on making the 4000 into more of a streetable race car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,698 Posts
honestly i think in its current condition (non running, lots to do) it is worth 1500 max. Running and running well jumps the price probably 3 times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im going to make it run again for the guy and i'll be sure to cut him a deal since he's going to sell it to me. i dont want to re-pin the ECU connector to fix it, i would prefer to replace the harness with a good one but im pressed for time so i cant pull the good harness from the parts car and install it into the avant right now. when i get the car i'll take it off the road and put the good harness in before i start driving it. i also repaired both door locks as they where seized and the owner doesnt have the key fob to shut off the immobilizer. the car's immobilizer/alarm is still acting weird even after i replaced the unit from a known good one from a parts S4. i've been trying to figure out a way to bypass the immobilizer/alarm for now but keep the central locking. the car is sort if a nightmare but i know it has been taken care of mechanically as it used to come into the VW shop i used to work at for regular servicing and the guy who worked on it is an original S-car owner himself which is an up point to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Could do things the lazy way if the harness connector is only part that's bad.... cut it and crimp the good one on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know, i scold people for splicing things like that. i do alot of custom engine swaps for people and i always try my hardest to work with unmolested harnesses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Yeah. True.... then you have a complete harness minus the connector... although you could clean the corroded connect and rebuild it. It does save a ton of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i did pretty much. i took an old vw rabbit harness and removed all the pins i needed and replaced the bad pins in the S6's connector with the rabbit harness pins. some solder and shrink wrap for now should keep it from messing up again. the car runs again and it runs good. i also found that the spark plugs where gapped wrong, they where at like double the normal gap. also after driving the car the turbo is a bit tired and it makes humming noises so i think the compressor wheel is messed up. the diverter valve is shot as its not opening and back-spooling the turbo. i have a K24 with like 60,000 miles on it and a good forge splitr valve to fix that mess. i have the S4 aluminum cross over pipe and aluminum tanked intercooler too that i might as well toss on even though i want to put a front mount in it and just be done with it. i have a good 31X12X3 bar and plate ebay cooler but i just dont see a purpose in buying the materials to build intercooler pipes and install it yet as a big cooler like that is a bit over kill for a mostly stock AAN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
vwnut8392 said:
thats what i did pretty much. i took an old vw rabbit harness and removed all the pins i needed and replaced the bad pins in the S6's connector with the rabbit harness pins. some solder and shrink wrap for now should keep it from messing up again. the car runs again and it runs good. i also found that the spark plugs where gapped wrong, they where at like double the normal gap. also after driving the car the turbo is a bit tired and it makes humming noises so i think the compressor wheel is messed up. the diverter valve is shot as its not opening and back-spooling the turbo. i have a K24 with like 60,000 miles on it and a good forge splitr valve to fix that mess. i have the S4 aluminum cross over pipe and aluminum tanked intercooler too that i might as well toss on even though i want to put a front mount in it and just be done with it. i have a good 31X12X3 bar and plate ebay cooler but i just dont see a purpose in buying the materials to build intercooler pipes and install it yet as a big cooler like that is a bit over kill for a mostly stock AAN.
Nice it sounds like the bad diverter valve may have caused the turbo to prematurely wear if it's been like that a while....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mushasho! said:
vwnut8392 said:
as for when i take ownership i plan on removing the tan interior and installing 93 S4 black interior with the carbon fiber trim as i have a whole S4 parts car,
Rugs won't match from UrS4 to UrS6 and neither will the dash...
Might need to do a mix and match for that...

HTH
Whats the difference? i've heard horror stories about trying to remove the carbon fiber pieces and them cracking/breaking so i just wanted to install the whole dash. whats different about the carpet? i figured its the same basis chassis so they came from the same sheet metal stamps. i know the sedan back seat upper half wont work but i would just switch the leather over. as for the rear parts i'd try to track down black stuff from another avant because i know even the A6 avant's had black interior parts too and that stuff should be common.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rogermoz said:
vwnut8392 said:
thats what i did pretty much. i took an old vw rabbit harness and removed all the pins i needed and replaced the bad pins in the S6's connector with the rabbit harness pins. some solder and shrink wrap for now should keep it from messing up again. the car runs again and it runs good. i also found that the spark plugs where gapped wrong, they where at like double the normal gap. also after driving the car the turbo is a bit tired and it makes humming noises so i think the compressor wheel is messed up. the diverter valve is shot as its not opening and back-spooling the turbo. i have a K24 with like 60,000 miles on it and a good forge splitr valve to fix that mess. i have the S4 aluminum cross over pipe and aluminum tanked intercooler too that i might as well toss on even though i want to put a front mount in it and just be done with it. i have a good 31X12X3 bar and plate ebay cooler but i just dont see a purpose in buying the materials to build intercooler pipes and install it yet as a big cooler like that is a bit over kill for a mostly stock AAN.
Nice it sounds like the bad diverter valve may have caused the turbo to prematurely wear if it's been like that a while....
Thats what i figured too, that just makes the car cheaper for me to buy since it need a turbo and a diverter valve. my buddys are already trying to talk me into putting an RS2 kit on it lol. i just want it to drive and have working air conditioning for now. i put 18in porsche twists that i bought off some junky for dirt cheap on it today and now it looks and feels awesome. i didnt think a 245/40/18 would fit under it being lowered but they do. plus i have H&R trak + 30mm adapters in front and 40mm in the rear. everything fits perfect and absolutely zero rubbing.

A few pics after a few washes and a wax with the porsche twists installed.








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hybrid_Hatch said:
so i'm confused. is this your car or not?
well not mine in paper but its now bought and paid for. the dude is out of the state so i have to wait to do title work. so im playing in the mean time till he comes back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
vwnut8392 said:
Mushasho! said:
vwnut8392 said:
as for when i take ownership i plan on removing the tan interior and installing 93 S4 black interior with the carbon fiber trim as i have a whole S4 parts car,
Rugs won't match from UrS4 to UrS6 and neither will the dash...
Might need to do a mix and match for that...

HTH
Whats the difference? i've heard horror stories about trying to remove the carbon fiber pieces and them cracking/breaking so i just wanted to install the whole dash. whats different about the carpet? i figured its the same basis chassis so they came from the same sheet metal stamps. i know the sedan back seat upper half wont work but i would just switch the leather over. as for the rear parts i'd try to track down black stuff from another avant because i know even the A6 avant's had black interior parts too and that stuff should be common.
The carpet cutout is different... on the seats you must choose between solid headrest or open headrest as the mount spacing differs.. The dash swap sucks and a urs4 dash won't fit because of the passenger airbag... Carbon can crack if done with brute force...

Hth

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
honestly the tan interior is starting to grow on me. i wish i could find a set of tan door panels now with leather inserts instead of cloth. i added a TAP stage 1 chip set, a lower mileage K24, K&N drop in filter, S4 aluminum crossover pipe and S4 full aluminum intercooler for now. the car runs sooo much better. now it needs an exhaust, i hate that i cant hear the car. i was going to make a full stainless 3in downpipe along with 3in stainless exhaust. a universal borla SS muffler is going to be be my choice muffler as i have them on most of my other cars and they sound so smooth and flow pretty well.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top