Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,Derracuda keeps me away so that i dont explode on him but on a serious note i really need everyones help.
Ok right now as it is i am running KYB GTR's on Intrax Lowering Springs.
My brother calls me up about 30 mins ago and tells me how he bent one of the wheels(finally i get to upgrade) and my new bottom arms as well as tie rod ends.
He had been complaining for a while of how rough and bumpy the ride was.....he could feel every hump in the road and it was just deploorable to drive.
This is not how an Audi shoould be...sigh.
So i am upgrading to a 5 hole Hub conversion.managed to get it from an A6 for $200US for all 4 corners so i am fairly happy about that.What i am wondering is can i make the 5 hub work back with my B4?I know i shouldve used A4 hubs but at $200 us i was biting nuts....

Another thing is that i am Upgrading to 18" OZ Superleggras and my Shocks need changing
what should i go wiht?
Koni's?
Eibach?
H&R's?
remembering here that my car is the same as a FWD B4 V6 90.
Thanks much
I know cuatrocoop will come to my rescue again....
derracuda.....positive input?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
yeah, i can post positive input, just don't make it sooo easy for me to give you flack for stuff you say. I'm a decent guy, and i don't give one a hard time without expecting some ribbing back. we're all doin' the same thing here, makin' our cars faster. so don't take my jokes so personal......don't worry. be happy :)

anyhoo. as to your conversion. i don't know if the hubs will fit the bearings you have in the front (assuming it's a cartridge bearing, i'm positive though) and the rear has,errr, spindles. ha, almost forgot what those were. and i don't know what you might have to do to get bearings to fit them. are the A6 hubs 2wd? just checking. if not, then you got more problems. you also have other things to consider here, like...

will the five lug change your wheel offset, if so, is it the same front and rear? that can mess with wheel fitment in the wheel wells, and with tie rod ends, etc.... being lowered it can cause unplaesant rubbing. and, you may not be able to get the correct offset for your custom conversion, plus that stuff messes with steering geometry as well as caster/camber geometry. i doubt it will throw it off that much though.

and most likely, both front and rear caliper brackets will be different as the five lug rotor backspacing is also probably different than what you have now. and with different rotors, you might need different calipers according to rotor thickness.

it's really a big a big can o' worms. i thought about doing it on my car, but decided that It's not worth my money right now. however, your money is a different situation, do what makes you happy. your car should have the 4x100 bolt pattern being that it's, ahem...2wd :wink: , and there are about a million styles and sizes available for that bolt pattern. not to mention plenty of differing offsets and widths.

also, there's plenty of big brake upgrades for 4x100 pattern rotors, check www.BIRA.org , and RPIequipped.com, they have some cool stuff that might appease you, if you want upgraded brakes.

this is a trial and error situation, that if you go through with it, could be a complete pain in the rear, and cost a butt load of money that wouldn't have had to be spent if you stayed with your current bolt pattern.

it's your choice. i may be completely wrong about this and you might be able to just buy a bunch of stuff and bolt it on, but usually that's not the case. besides, i don't have any experience with the B4's, just the "crappy old school" B2's...........

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Go with Koni "yellow's" if you are running an adjustable c-o suspension.

Go with Bilsteins if you go with lowering springs (I always get the type messed up, Sport/HD or Sprint/Sport, whatever the heck are meant for lowering springs).

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my brother was complaining of a very bouncy ride with the OEM shocks....
its not coil overs,its lowering springs....so still go Koni or Bilstein?
and does Bilstein make for FWD audi's?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Bilsteins if they are just springs and not an adjustable c-o setup (all Audi's have coil-over type suspensions, as the coil spring surrounds the damper). They should make a damper for your chassis.

Koni Yellow's are rebound adjustable, which is good to help fine-tune the damper to a specific spring rate in an adj. c-o suspension. I saw little benefit in changing the rebound when I had yellows installed with a stock suspension. They are not worth the cost of purchase for your case IMO.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
well i am looking for the most comfortable ride so that when i go over a hump or summtin my gf's titties dont bounce up and down....
get what i mean?
If you want a comfortable ride, don't lower the car. If you lower it propperly (with much stiffer springs) it'll ride harsh. If you lower it wrong (with typically way too soft lowering springs) you'll hit the bumpstops making it ride harsh.
Ditch the GF and you'll no longer have problems. Or get one with smaller breasts.
Mike
'88 VW "R22"

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Wizard-of-OD said:
well i am looking for the most comfortable ride so that when i go over a hump or summtin my gf's titties dont bounce up and down....
get what i mean?
Right...and lemme guess, you don't want the car to handle very well either when you turn the steering wheel? Or how about this, you hate it when you step of the accelerator pedal and the car starts going really, really fast?? If these are true, then you probably hate it when you put a juicy piece of steak into your mouth...and it tastes good. Damn, you're one of "those" people. We can't help you here...

:lol:

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JShadzi said:
Wizard-of-OD said:
get what i mean?
Right...and lemme guess, you don't want the car to handle very well either when you turn the steering wheel? Or how about this, you hate it when you step of the accelerator pedal and the car starts going really, really fast?? If these are true, then you probably hate it when you put a juicy piece of steak into your mouth...and it tastes good. Damn, you're one of "those" people. We can't help you here...

:lol:
NOW YOU!!
:slap: :slap: 2 for Javad!

Whatever the case is i want to upgrade the shocks because i honestly do not believe that my lowering springs are the problem.There from Intrax anyway.
So what i am going to do is buy the sport shocks.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Get the Konis, the best shock for the money IMO.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
my 2 cents on the shocks are KYB's for the money. my car rides nice and I have 40 series 17's. i think the H&R's contribute to the decent ride. I don't have any experience with intrax springs, but i do know that soem springs are junk and will make a car ride like garbage. my car never bottoms out and it corners pretty darn good, (of course, having a 4kq front sway bar on the rear might be a contributing factor :) . oh, and my car never make my titties bounce.......... :lol:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Sure, it depends what the budget is, etc. If you're looking for an affordable and "smooth" riding shock, check out the Boge Pro Gas and Turbo Gas Struts, a little more than the KYB's, but a better dampening strut IME. KYB's are by far the best bang for the buck strut. If you've got the $$, I really like the Konis.

BTW, if you want to see what a stock Audi suspension looks like, check out:

http://www.80tq.com/albums/?mode=album& ... peAtLaguna

Pics courtesey of www.motorsportvisions.com

Oh ya, the TransAm race cars aren't mine...

:wink:

Javad

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
wow javad, that's quite a difference from the pics of you 80tq goin' round the bends. i'm just curious, what size tire/wheel combo do you have on the coupe?

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, the body roll is insane, check out the one pic going through the famed "corkscrew", front left suspension is fully compressed, front right is off the ground =)

Speeds vary at laguna, in the Coupe I could hit a max of 95mph diving down into turn 2 threshold braking, in my 80 I can hit about 120 in the same spot, its more of a gut check than a car thing though, basically you rocket up over a blind hill and diving down into a 180 degree left hander, it takes more and more balls to dive deeper and deeper into that turn =)

The Coupe has some 225/50 16 tires on it, big mothers, that's the nice thing about those Coupes, lots of room under the wheel wells.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
JShadzi said:
Yes, the body roll is insane, check out the one pic going through the famed "corkscrew", front left suspension is fully compressed, front right is off the ground =)
Check out Coupe9.JPG
Look at that sidewall roll over! Fun pictures :)
Mike
'88 VW "R22"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts