Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am about to purchase the 034 supplimentary ECU, and have a few questions about tuning with it. My setup consists of a 2.0 4 cylinder, S16G turbocharger, and will be using 8 total injectors(4 off of the 034). Basically, what is the best way to tune? I will be using a dyno, and a wideband o2 also. I was thinking of starting off with low boost, like 5 or 6 psi, and then adjust the scaler till it makes good power. Then from there, tune to around 8 psi, but this time, adjust fuel using the matrix, instead of the scaler. Basically, just use the matrix above 5 or 6 psi to tune the fuel map. Would this be the best way to do this? I wasn't sure if you were supposed to do it this way, OR run your max boost setting, and tune with the scaler, THEN use the matrix to tune with at lower boost settings. Which is better? Any info would be great! I'll be ordering my 034 very shortly!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.

Generally, the scaler is used to set your max fueling need, for example under full boost and in your power band. But, often, that may provide a little too much fuel at lower boost and rpm settings, thus you can use the matrix to scale back fuel at those load and rpm points.

Usually, I like to see all 1's under the power band and max boost, and slightly scaled back #'s below that area. If you have a fast spooling turbo, however, that makes max boost quickly and responsively, then your matrix tuning will be minimalized. Of course a bigger, more "laggy" turbo will require more matrix tuning.

Glad you're tuning it on a dyno, however, that's definitely the way to do it.

HTH,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My next question is that when I need to adjust the matrix, and even the scaler, how much adjustment does it make when you change the numbers? Lets say the matrix is 1, and I need a bit less fuel at a certain point, what would I adjust the 1 to? Example: .75? .85? ect..? I guess I just don't really know how much of changing the number, effects the fuel added/subtracted. Same goes for the scaler. And yeah, I wouldn't even think about not using a dyno and wideband :)

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
1 = 100%

.9 = 90%

Etc...

...so you need to make the call on how much % to pull back (the pulsewidth) at certain points, I usually start with .1 or .2 increments unless you need to make a really large adjustment.

HTH,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Javad. Just so I have complete understanding of the tuning perameters- The sclaer # increases fuel in a linear ratio as pressure increases, PER kpa? So lets say the scaler # is 2.5, this means that for every kpa, it increases injector ms by 2.5ms? And the matrix dictates the percetage of the sclaer# at a certain pressure and rpm? Usually, as you run more boost, you need a richer A/F, so at 10 psi, If I tune to a perfect A/F with the scaler, then at 5psi It will prob be too rich, then dial back the numbers in the matrix to lean it out, correct? Thnaks for your input!

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
The scaler # that you enter is the maximum Pulse Width at maximum pressure that the controller will calculate. Then combine RPM with that, and the RPM determine when and how often the controller fires the injectors at the calculated PW.

Thus, if you enter a 2.5 for scaler, the ECU would calculate 2.5 ms of PW at the full 2.5 Bar. The ECU automatically interpolates this value down to 0 Kpa, which would be more or less 0 ms PW. Thus, whether you're running 5psi or 10psi, once you get the appropriate scaler value entered, the ECU should make a pretty good calculation at any boost level up to 23psi. Remember, the # you're entering is really at the full 2.5 Bar, and the ECU will interpolate for your current boost level.

The matrix allows you to make small adjustments in your overall curve, but typically you should see pretty close to all 1's in the matrix if your scaler is correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts