Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just when I thought I was getting some work done today (Sunday) I watched as my machine was hacked while I was logged in doing work.

Now I get to go rebuild the f'in thing and hopefully have it up for the end of the day. What a waste of time.

Sorry, I had to vent. This sux, last time this happened was a good 3 years ago through a WU-FTP vulnerability. wonder how the jerks got in this time?

Sorry for the waste of forum space.. had to vent.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
I've been through the same thing a couple times on my server, in my case it seems they were getting in throuh apache exploits, and loose directory permisions on some of my stuff.

Wish these bastards could find something better to do with their life... :roll:

Oh well, backups are very good things to have in these cases :)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:curses:

Yeah, it looks like they used some kind of root kit (like all the other script kiddies out there). I first noticed the problem when I saw all of my log files had been nuked, /var/log/messages was a symlink to /dev/null :-(

I'm at work now hooking up a spare 120 gig drive to suck the relevant data off the system. I've got tape backup as well but the thing takes so damn log to write data I think it will be faster this way.

I suppose the upshot is that I'll roll a more recent distrobution onto the system (I was running redhat 6.2) and put on all of the security errata before I make the system live again.

Sigh, hope I get outta here before too long.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
yeah I'm running Fedora Core on all my boxes now I highly recomend an automatic package management system like yum or apt(my fave) for all you updates. Save soooo much time cause all the package dependancies are updated at the same time, and there are a ton of third party packages you don't get in distribution packages.

http://www.freshrpms.net is prolly the best place to start, and the only one I use for my severs for update. Have fun :roll: :D

Sorta like a car problem, just take the extra step and all of a sudded it's an excuse for an upgrade ;)

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Hey Mike want to see the pic I took of your car? It'll make you :frustrated: :D

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
hey, can somebody just invent a program called "cyber shotgun" that when your computer gets attacked or bombarded by hackers,pop ups, etc.. that it completely blows the computer at the other end apart? eh, this sounds like a good idea to me. :wink:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right huh? Something to reach out and :slap: the bitches on the other end of the line.

Mmmhmm, it'd be nice to get some satisfaction out of wasting 12 hours of my time on a sunday cuz some snot nosed punk got bored. :curses:

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the old days when everybody had Win95 there was a way you could send malformed IP packets that would cause the computer to crash. Unforunately no such capability exists anymore. Of course, if you can figure out an IP address for the source of the attack you can hand it off to the FBI and have them prosecute it as "cyber-terrorism".
Barring that, firewalls are pretty easy to set up on pretty much any kind of UNIX machine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Um guys......don't you know that we umm have a section for techi computer nerd talk. I bet your the same guys that post want ads on the Q-list.

B

haha bad humor.Its like listening to greek radio

1 - 11 of 11 Posts