Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any useful thoughts about them. do they really make a difference? or is just my mind justifying the $5 i spent for the turbo 108 (44oz. can) and dump the whole thing in my tank.
it seems to me that my car does run smoother under boost and at higher rpm with it, but then again, maybe it's just in my head. could be the new fumes that it causes to come out of the tailpipe :bashtard:

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I never use the stuff because it isn't a very good deal... in order for that little can of octane booster to make any difference it would have to have a lot more than a 108 octane rating. unless you mix it with about a gallon worth of gas in your tank the difference in final octane for your tank full will be minimal.

What I've been using is pure toluene bought from Sherwin Williams paint stores. It costs about $5/gallon and it has an octane rating of 118. They sell it in the stores in up to 5 gallon pails. I usually mix it so that in my 18 gallon tank I'm running about 15 gallons of 94 and 3 of toluene.. that works out to ((15 * 94) + (3 * 118))/18 = 98 octane. obviously you can change the mixture to suit your tastes... I was able to run over 20psi on my 10vt at the drag strip without detonation on this setup (but with a lot higher octane, probably closer to 104)

Another option I will be playing with once the car is back together is using xylene, a cousin to toluene but with a much higher octane rating... ~140 so you get more bang for the buck. You can pick up xylene at home depot for about $11 in a 1 gallon container. I'm sure you can get it for less in larger quantities.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Exactly what Marc said :woowoo:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Local gas station here sells 100 octane for about $4 a gallon so I've been going down there once a month and filling up some 5 gallon gascans, but if that's not an option then the above recommendations work well.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
audifreakjim said:
Hmm, xylene, never thought of that. Just don't measure it with a polystyrene cup or it will end up all over your shoes. My balcony has a nice thin coat of por-15 from when I was cleaning up and this happend :wtf:
:lol: funny stuff there jim.

i think then for the money, i'll just stick with the 100 LL, $2.50 a gallon makes it worth while, plus the smell. I wish some made high octane leaded car fresheners :D

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Anyone played with the idea of using the extra outputs to run a tolulene injector? maybe have an injector come on at 6 psi or something, so you are using tolulene when you need it? Does tolulene have any cooling capabilities? Methenal would be sweet too, just to get the charge temp down... Ive never heard of xylene, sounds good though.

I go broke using just 92 octane. I may have to get a second job to support 100 oct.

:frustrated:

Hank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts