Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.A friend form back home has asked me to find a Mercedes-Benz Transmission for his S500.Silly guy used it as a manual.
Anyways long story short Dealer told him $13,000US to place a new one in there.
Well his parents are making him pay for it so i said ill ask and see what i can do.I have seen some rebuilds on the net for $2800US.
Can anyone refer me to a Transmission rebuilder who would have a 1994 S500 Transmission in there stock?I have all the numbers and stuff.
i know its off topic and off Audi but figured id give it a shot since you all guys know where to get eveyrthing at the best deal possible.
Thanks alot
Sam

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ok, try peter shmidt in the san franciso area of california. they do nothing but rebuild mercedes and bmw trannies. everything is new in them except for the tranny case itself, even all the hardware. my dad has been dealing with them for like 15 years and never had a comeback. i think my dad said the price is somewhere in the $2100-$2500 range, you'll have to confirm that. sorry i don't have the phone # available, but i could get it to you in about a week when i get back to CA.

the only other thing i can think is that they need a core, or else there is a core charge (about $1200, i think) so shipping the old one back to them is a must.

and check with pilot air for shipping, they charge like a $1 per pound for overnight airfrieght, last time i checked.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problem at all.
Ill take it if you can confirm it derracuda.
Ill even send you the money>wire it because this guy just doesnt not feel like paying $13000 to the dealership.i dont blame him...thats a new car.
I wouldnt mind paying overnuight shipping either to miami and then miami barbados.
Thanks alot derra

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Let me guess, its a ZF built HP24. The Tiptronic mode has nothing to do with the failures seen in the HP19 and HP24 series transmissions, it has to do with (IMO) tight tolerances in the valve body and other parts, which get damaged when metallic particles are allowed to circulate for too long. They require fluid and filter changes every 30k miles. The fluid is specific to the ZF units, takes 6 to 8 litres depending on which transmission. $12 to $20 per litre. BTDT.

Anyway, there is a shop in the Chicago area that has HP24's for around $2600 installed (rebuilt transmissions). Check the A8 forum on AW for the shop name (there is also a ZF run shop in the same area, that will sell transmissions to shops at lower than dealer costs).

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
i don't think mercedes came out with tipronic in the S-class until after 96, if they ever put it in the W140 chassis (which is the s-class cars from 92-99).
i couldn't say what might have gone wrong in your buddies car, sam, but i do know that those trannies were prone to reverse gear failure (my moms car did that :p ) and on another one we replaced, it had an internal controller malfunction.

also, sammy, what exactly is wrong with your friends car? i was grilling my dad about it and he said that there are servo cover plates (round cover plates), one on each side of the tranny just above the tranny pan. he said that the one on the drivers side, if you take a long heavy duty screw driver or prybar (18-24" or so) and lower the tranny down a bit (remove the mount at the rear) and find an appropriate way to depress the servo cover plate. if it goes in and doesn't come back out (there is a circlip that keeps the cover plate from popping out), then the servo spring is just broken, and that can be replaced by itself. without removal or replacement of the entire transmission.

see if you can find out what the symptoms are, and get back to me.

Derek

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well to be honest the transmission blew up.Anthony claims that the bellhousings was picked up from under the car :?
i have found one from PRT for $1500US.I think this is an excellent price,however they require the bellhousings (LOL!!....right)
:bashtard:

I find with Mercedes-Benz...the owners think they are driving tanks and forget to change the tranny oil.He sent me pictures and the poor smuck had black tranny oil.I believe his clutches have definately seen better days.Good news is his parents have him on lock down so i guess no more bad behaviour.
ye...1996 onward had a 5 speed which was fitted to even the M Class.
Looks like Merecedes has learnt from there mistakes.Personally i think ZF makes shitty Transmissions.I know from the amount of Peugeots i use to see in the workshop with the fames ZF-4HP14 (similar to golf auto) which found the constant need to have clutches just go all the time.Very week transmission.....lead me to become obsessed with the 3A Automatic 3-speed found in the 80 and 100.
But was useless and when they brought out the 4 speed i had to own one.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
There was a post in the past week with the shop name...Actually the post was made yesterday. Here's the post:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/57031.phtml

A 1994 would not have a Tiptronic-type ZF in it, don't think it would even be a 5spd auto. If it is a ZF unit, it will have a data tag on the bottom side (I think, can't remember from the A6's for sure), up near the bell housing. Red or Blue plate?

The 3spd VW auto's had plenty of their own problems, usually due to a lack of fluid retention, and then owners not paying attention to new spots on their garage floors or driveways, or slow shifting. Our old '87 5k had a few seals go bad, but we caught it very early on (big sign was the lack of shifting into 3rd on the highway one day). The '88 90 had its 3spd replaced shortly before we bought it...

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
the ZF tranny in the mercedes aren't weak, your buddy must've abused that thing preeeeety bad. the mercedes that i told you we replaced the tranny on because of the controller malfunction, well.....we installed a chip, K&N's,3" exhaust and that sucker is fast. the owner has wailed on that poor car for more than a year now and it still holds fine. shows what a quality builder can do. and I've personally driven that car, and it's scary fast. it regularly eats vettes for lunch. the guy who owns it claims the only car that has beat him on the street is a 427 cobra, but the benz still took him off the line. that's kinda it's forte', cause they have a boatload of torque. but i doubt that if it was put next to javad or jims 10v's and accelerated from 60 to a 100mah, the audi's would win.
soon we should be getting a dyno print out on it.

anyhoo. those particular trannies are 5 speed. just not tiptronic. (i know it's a five speed, i've driven plenty of them to verify :wink: ) they are programmed to take off in second gear unless you A-manually shift it into first, or B-floor it right off the line.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ok, i fdon't know if you guys figured out what your doing about replacing the tranny, but here's the number to the place that i told you about in the bay area (california)

Peter Schmid Transmission 650-348-3990
talk to wolfgang

good luck :)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
derracuda said:
ok, i fdon't know if you guys figured out what your doing about replacing the tranny, but here's the number to the place that i told you about in the bay area (california)

Peter Schmid Transmission 650-348-3990
talk to wolfgang

good luck :)
Thanks i had found a guy called Matt at Phoenix Rebuilt Transmissions.
He had 2 in stock so i was lucky,Got it for $1450US + shipping
so that was cool.
Thanks alot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts