Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's normal oil pressure at idle on a 200 engine.I was trying to install a oil pressure guage out of a 4ks but don't have the original sending unit.I was using a vw cabriolet sending unit (but i have the accompanying gauge to go with it. both gauges show 0 bar,key on engine off.the instant the engine cranks over and fires the gauges go directly to 5 bar (max on both gauges) i have a hunch the sending unit is bad but need a reference for oil pressure as I don't have a manual handy.thanks guys

oh hey,a woman goes into the local parts store looking for some 710 part or whatever it is(she can't figure it out. so she asks the guy at the counter "i need this stuff,i thinks it's called 710", but the guy at the counter can't figure it out and askes the most knowledgeable guy at the store. he can't figure it out either. so desperate for this part she says "well,i can show you what I'm talking about". they all go outside and open the hood on her car and she points at the the round cap on the valve cover and says "see,it says 710"

(look at 710 upside down and you should figure it out for yourself)

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
:lol:
ye i was looking for the picture to post it.I have that.....blonde wants OIL.
anyways about the pressure.i think your sending unit is not good.
i know for audi's/vw's the pressure should be between 60 and 75psi.
someone can confirm this because i have not installed my gauges as yet,but will soon...IN MY A PILLAR GAUGE POD!
:woowoo:

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Pegging 5 bar is not abmormal for a cold engine. Wait until it warms up some, it'll probably drop down a little at that point. My 90tq reads 5+ bar on startup, drops down to ~3-3.5 bar once warm at idle.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I'll warm it up and then check it,the engine was cold when i did my testing, but it ran for about 10-15 min. thanks guys

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I warmed it up good (had to go see if there was snow in the hills :) then hooked it back up and the same thing,it just pegs both gauges,so I'm gonna find another sending unit, thanks for the help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts