Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know if a little bit of oil resedue on my T-belt from the seeping cam seal will hurt anything? the belt only has less than 4k miles on it, and i replaced the cam seal at that same time, but for some reason it's seeping. any hoo, i'm replacing the seal, and my buddy says "hey, that oil will cause the belt to slip(or something to that effect)". but i've never heard of it before and i always see the belts have a bit of oil on them.

any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The oil will probably hurt the rubber. Ever see what breather oil does to rubber hoses after a while?

Aaron

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
my fiance's mother's trooper had a leaking main seal that got oil on the timing belt and caused it to slip. We just took it apart a couple weeks ago. definetly clean it and change that seal so you don't have any more leaks or anything.

hth
jeff

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, thanks guys, now i got some more work piled on top of my already huge mess i've made of my car in this upgrade process... :wink:

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
derracuda said:
hey, thanks guys, now i got some more work piled on top of my already huge mess i've made of my car in this upgrade process... :wink:
Hah! You think your car is a mess....... ;)

Your previous pics post looks like you're getting a killer looking and running car. Kudos.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the words of encouragement nate. right now i've got half my interior out, no battery cable, no IM,no I/C, and a bunch of piddly things to hook up and mess with, then it's on to tuning. i gotta admit, your car is a tiny bit more of a mess than mine :wink: , but yours is gonna sing a gloriously sweet V8 song :p

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I don't see how it would allow a TOOTHED BELT to slip. Stretch, over a fair amount of time, maybe. But, I'd bet the corded reinforcement would fail before it stretched significantly. I'd also think that before that even happened, the rubber would deteriorate first. That'd also take some time. Wonder if I could get a hold of one of the new GY kevlar reinforced belts? Good for a LOT of torque, with a very high life-cycle. I think the water pump would fail long before one of those new belts...

I've had a seeping radial seal at the cam and the oil pump for a while. I changed the belt a little over a year ago, so it's probably been on there for 9k miles. No problems as of yet, belt hasn't changed other than the Conti label is mostly worn off. I DO need to change the WP and T-stat yet though. I have a pump, but the t-stat they sent was wrong. Looks like its for a 4cyl?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i went ahead and cleaned it up anyhoo. i was right there, so changed the cam seal and cleaned the belt. i guess it can't hurt anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts