Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubba Hubba
:p ok guys this is just a theoretical question.What options does one have with an Automatic transmission?Was reading some articles last night and came across this article that featured the Fast and Furious VW as being Automatic.
I was shocked...
I know manual is better but i am just asking for my own knowledge.Is it possible to beef up that automatic to deliver some gread breaking power?
any options?
inout from guys...derra,turboaudi,etc etc
thanks
Sam

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Some shops can rebuild the VAG and ZF auto's with higher stall TC's and better (faster) shifting. Level 10 is one such shop.

Some of the fastest strip cars run autos that have been completely redone.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cuatrokoop said:
Some shops can rebuild the VAG and ZF auto's with higher stall TC's and better (faster) shifting. Level 10 is one such shop.

Some of the fastest strip cars run autos that have been completely redone.
cuatro could you elaborate on what this is.And can i just buy these parts?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
TC = torque converter. you know that big round heavy thing that was in the front of the transmission when you pulled the motor out? that's it :wink: .

as to the other stuff, i don't have any knowledge of VW autos and performance stuff for them. but, if however you wanted to know what a built 727 torqueflite (mopar) tranny could put up with i could help you out better :D . i imagine that a thorough search for vw drag stuff could turn up some results. i have seen a VR6 5 speed jetta run 11's, so, i guess it just depends on how bad you are at driving a manual trans :D

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
derracuda said:
TC = torque converter. you know that big round heavy thing that was in the front of the transmission when you pulled the motor out? that's it :wink: .

as to the other stuff, i don't have any knowledge of VW autos and performance stuff for them. but, if however you wanted to know what a built 727 torqueflite (mopar) tranny could put up with i could help you out better :D . i imagine that a thorough search for vw drag stuff could turn up some results. i have seen a VR6 5 speed jetta run 11's, so, i guess it just depends on how bad you are at driving a manual trans :D
Ah yes....so what about internals?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
uh, that's why i said i don't know anything about them :D

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
derracuda said:
uh, that's why i said i don't know anything about them :D
well find out god dammit!! :slap:

just joking :D
I think a Torque converter would be nice...i am sure one from a VW 2.0 would be the same?
derra you are a resourceful dude...see what you can come up with.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
well, to tell you the truth, auto's don't really interest me. they're not as efficient, and they suck. i don't have any contacts on these. you'll have to research this one. i don't have the time right now.

and, if anyone says that manuals don't shift fast enough, then how about this. not to long ago in hotrod there was a newer mustang with a turboed 306 and a tremec 5spd( it not a sequential shift or anything, just regular old 5 spd, with a bit of beefing up of course :) and it runs an 8.99 on 10inch slicks. that's fast!!!!!

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Contact Level10...They are the only people I have heard of that upgrade any VAG auto. Usually the Tiptronic models. I have no idea what all they do beyond TC upgrades to get faster, crisper shifts. I hate automatics, well, working on them anyway. Tiptronics are nice for a slushbox...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Wizz........ have you ever heard of a search engine, preferably google or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts