Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Javad, hi, I currently use your extra injector controller and was just wondering if there's any plans or possibility to using your current software on a palm device?

That would certainly make it much easier than going to the laptop everytime I needed to tune.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I often thought the Palm would be great for tuning the 034 efi systems.
I can't imagine that the software is that complicated? This forum is full of computer/IT nerds so it should be easy right? :D

Aaron

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
ha, I was actually just think about this same this about two days ago. I'd be interested in such a setup :p

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I think Nate had a chat with the engineers that built the 034 stage II system and he did mention to them something about offering to build a software port for linux. I don't know if anything ever came from that (Nate?), obviously issues over proprietary software, etc.

A palm interface would be awesome, a lot less crap to carry around for sure! I'd help if we could ever get some specifications on the communications to the ECU. reverse engineering that might be a pain, but not impossible if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
a4kquattro said:
I think Nate had a chat with the engineers that built the 034 stage II system and he did mention to them something about offering to build a software port for linux. I don't know if anything ever came from that (Nate?), obviously issues over proprietary software, etc.

A palm interface would be awesome, a lot less crap to carry around for sure! I'd help if we could ever get some specifications on the communications to the ECU. reverse engineering that might be a pain, but not impossible if it comes down to it.
i thought Javad built 034EFi

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting that you guys bring this up. I was just contemplating the possibility of re-writing the management app for Mac, my only laptop is a new PowerBook so I'd have to buy a crappy old PC laptop for tuning.
As a programmer, I would attempt to separate the user interface from the actual data manipulation and coummications portions of the software. I can see where Javad wouldn't want a bunch of different versions floating around. If it was divided into core and interface he'd only have to support core and probably the Win32 interface. Those of use who wanted to use or create something else would be on our own.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wow,

What he said........ :?
Linux on a palm pilot? Cool.

Aaron

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Javad helped design the ecu and had a group of automotive engineers build it.

you can get linux on a handheld, its called the Zaurus (http://www.sharpusa.com/products/showcase/0,1941,600-58-0,00.html).

I like the idea of making the software more multi-platform compatible, so if anyone starts work on it please let me know and I'll help any way that I can.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Yes, I started writing a linux interface to it, have it at a point where I was talking to the ECU (my stage I ECU at the time), but the major problem is that there is zero documentation out there for the data stream protocol. I'd be more than happy to write the interface code as a nice 034efi library that people could use for their own gui's if they'd like.

Like I said I already have my linux test app talking to the 034 setup, it's just a matter af what bytes to send it, and what bytes get returned as a result. Last time I talked the the engineer he warned me that there really wasn't any data validation done in the ECU, it's all handled by the PC software, so you really have to be sure you are send the right bits and bops or you can fubar stuff up good.

I'm gathering parts right now for an LCD/VFD 'dash' of sorts to interface with my 034 system, so I'll be digging into the communication protocol some more, but for now it'll probably be read-only. Unless someone can get me the documented protocol, if there even is one. I have a feeling things are in quite a bit of flux with all the different 034 versions and revisions out there.

If you're wondering what I'm trying to do for the integrated dash, it's a 32x128 pixel graphic LCD module that I want to stand vertically between the Speedo and Tach, replacing all the idiot lights and probably the autocheck display as well (haven't got a unit in yet to check for exact space requirements). The test PIC processor I got in for it can run up to 40mhz, has 8 AD channels onboard (I'll probably use these for the dash display first, reading straight from the sensors, rather than relying on the 034 ecu), and gobs of IO pins so I've got plenty of horsepower to run the dash with some fancy graphics and all. This is all in VERY early stages of development, and who knows what will come of it. But I figure if I buy the expensive bit of the system (the VFD display) then that'll get me motivated to make some use of it :))

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd be more than willing to take a stab at any portion of this, but we should probably see if Javad got any docs from the guy who did the original Win32 program, or even the source code. And he should be involved with the process anyway. Ideally, it's something that he can make a part of the product rather than "3rd part, unsupported".
Nate, I'm assuming you're working in C, at least for the low-level stuff. I'd be interested to see what you had so far. I've got a FreeBSD box at home, along with an old Solaris machine a Mac and a Win32 PC.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Yeah, doing it all in C. In my previous talks with the engineer he asked that I not make any of the source code public. I really don't know why, it's really basic information that in no way can lead to 'information theft' for a competing product.

In order to do what I am now I was monitoring the serial data stream and capturing all the bytes as they came and went. I was able to decifer the major 'get' commands and the resulting data that was returned, so I could basically see and log the data coming back. Thats about as far as I have gotten at this point, I haven't tested with the stageII systems yet to see if the data/commands are radically different, but like I said, I will be for this display at some point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So Javad doesn't have a copy of the source, or even the rights to it? How's that work?
I've done something very similar to what you are attempting before. It was, unquestionably, the least enjoyable project I've ever worked on. It would seem, just thinking about it, that it would be pretty easy to figure out what was going on, but that's never how it works out.
Has Javad weighed in on any of this?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Megasquirt has a Palm system available right now.

I haven't used it yet and don't know much about it.

Here's some info:

"MS-Palm is available from the files section of the MegaSquirt Yahoo! site. It has worked well for some. MS-Palm uses the HOTPaw basic, and does data logging. It is limited to about 60 datalog lines or about 15 seconds or so at 4 Hz. It writes the data out as Memopad entries, which are limited in size to 4k. The source code is there for anyone to modify. It would be easy to cut back on the variable list, to get a log time up over a minute if someone so desired. MS-Palm does allow editing of VE table, enrichment bins, etc. as well. It worked fine with V2 code, but has not been tested yet with the new DT code. Or you can use MSMiniTune, which requires the NSBasic files from the files section, but it may not be fully functional."

BTW, a Linux version is in the works also.

Steve

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Hey guys a cool little update for you, the engineer I spoke of contacted me via email regarding this topic (cool, big daddy is watching :))

We'll see how it goes from here, if it works out I think I'm going to just break things down for easy portability and setup a linux interface of some sort for now. I don't have any experience with palm gui interfaces, or a palm for that matter, so thats probably best left to someone with skills in that area.

Stay tuned 8)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Wow, cool!

Definitely keep us updated, really cool that he got back to you. And I thought only us (48!?) lunatics were reading the posts :p

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Yes, this is something we've spoken with Nate on and off for a while now, its been more of a "pic your battles" issue than anything else. 034efi is not an open source product, never will be, and literally thousands of hours of work have gone into the programming and development of this product before any ROI was realized.

I have not developed 034efi all by myself by any means, I have worked with a team of engineers in different capacities. Since Nate has been interested in doing this, we put him in touch with one of the engineers to speak more about working on this aspect of development. If anyone has interest to work in a similar capacity, it would be appropriate for them to contact me directly and discuss from there.

It is our intention to eventually offer a Palm interface (which would greatly assist in tuning motorcycles, open wheeled race cars, etc). Any major new developments such as that will be posted here on the forum and at www.034efi.com

Tune on,

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
after re-reading my earlier post I hope I didn't make it sound like you had a small involvment in the final product. Obviously we wouldn't be running such great EFI systems in our cars if it wasn't for your hard work.

Way to go Javad!

On the interface porting, I'll chat with you at some point about that. It would be nice if me and Nate (and others?) could collaborate even if under a collective NDA. I don't mind if the source isn't released.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Nahh, not at all =) Yes, lets chat more.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Yup, same here as Marc, didn't mean to come off as ungrateful for the work involved in these kickass ecus, on both the hardware and software front. I have no problem keeping the source code quiet if thats what's desired, and understandably so. Like you said, you guys have put in countless hours of work for us monkeys, and we do appreciate it more than can be expressed.

Thanks again, beloved mastah of the Q! :p

Oh and to all you other designers/engineers who may be watching, THANKS! :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts