Automobiles Forum banner

Phenolic Intake Spacer Question

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  AUDIschwagon 
#1 ·
So I'm putting the head on my 10v back together, meanwhile installing the phenolic intake spacer. I noticed that on 034's site it says you have to grind away part of the manifold, but where exactly do I need to grind it? I'd like to do it before I try and put the whole thing in the car so that I'm not pulling it all out again.

#2 ·
At the bottom of the runners on the intake manifold. Where it meets the head, it somewhat has a flange boss, that will need to be ground off. I'm not sure if I took any pics when I did mine or not. I'll look.

#3 ·
Here are the only pics I have

Hope that helps. Make sure to test fit the intake manifold with both gaskets. I learned the hard way.

#4 ·
DE80q said:
Here are the only pics I have

Hope that helps. Make sure to test fit the intake manifold with both gaskets. I learned the hard way.
Alright, that doesn't look too bad, thanks for the help!

#5 ·
Its a little more than the pics make it look. I wish I had a before and after.

#7 ·
You spaced out the exhaust manifold as well? Interesting idea.

#8 ·
DE80q said:
You spaced out the exhaust manifold as well? Interesting idea.
Yeah boss. The grinding was too much fuckery. Didn't have any clearance issues as well save for a little adjustment on my exhaust hanger post-downpipe.

#10 ·
88a5tq said:
Dang schwagen I guess I forgot you went with the phenolics. How are they working out? I had considered them at one point but other things immediately broke, distracting me :)
Working pretty dang well. The intake is no longer scalding to the touch. Just a hand warmer now. It should be noted however that I wrapped my exhaust manifold as well, for the lurks and the curious.

#11 ·
AUDIschwagon said:
88a5tq said:
Dang schwagen I guess I forgot you went with the phenolics. How are they working out? I had considered them at one point but other things immediately broke, distracting me :)
Working pretty dang well. The intake is no longer scalding to the touch. Just a hand warmer now. It should be noted however that I wrapped my exhaust manifold as well, for the lurks and the curious.
Same here. I actually painted the exhaust manifold with some high temp thermal paint and wrapped my downpipe.

#12 ·
[/quote]Same here. I actually painted the exhaust manifold with some high temp thermal paint and wrapped my downpipe.[/quote]

These are good moves. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be opposed to making more flanges if there was interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.