Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
so whats the hall sender on the front of the engine?

how many teeth?

so now what does the stage IIc need to work as far as engine position sensors? EI: how many pulses per rotation of cam/crank...

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
It's a 60-2 trigger, meaning 60 teeth with 2 missing, as a locator.

There can also be a cam reference for TDC on cyl 1. Though Javad meantioned to me today that this isn't neccesary, it just may take a couple of tries occasionally for the ECU to correctly phase itself to the cam timing when you start the engine (the cam signal only really affects starting logic to ensure that the ECU knows wich stroke the piston is on) Once it's determined this once it doesn't need the cam signal anymore.

Jim is using the same wheel I am, mounted to the front of the crank, with the Audi VR sensor picking up the teeth.

Javad's got those wheels if you don't want to have your crank pully machined.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Nate summed it up quite well, I offer the wheels or I can even have your pulley machined for you. The system will run either a hall sender or a VR, frankly I really like the VR sensor, and we put in a trick "self ranging" VR driver to minimize pickup error.

I am not using the cam TDC reference and the engine starts probably 9 out of 10 times, ocassionally (1/10) it takes 2 tries, pretty cool.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
At this time the IIc ecu isn't setup to use that number of teeth, and locator pins. From what Javad has told me that is in the works, however. 8)

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Javad,

Very slick install. Nice job on the bracketry.

The bracket for the VR sensor, did you make that out of aluminum due to possible interference if you were to use steel?

any timeline as to when the software will be updated to count an Audi flywheel for teeth?

Later

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Marc, thanks. Yes, the bracketry for the VR or Hall should be a non-magnetic material to eliminate any false triggering. Technically all these sensors have bodies that shield them (Faraday's Cage), but its a good idea to use alum none the less. Be sure the bracket is strong enough that you can't flex it with the strength of your hand, it must be very rigid.

I just got a Coupe Quattro ('90) so that I can do some testing on the Motronic engine sensors, it might not be until Nov or even Jan before we get a chance to update it, but eventually both sensors will function correctly. One sensor is the crank TDC, the other counts RPM. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Administrator
201,871 Posts
Flatten some teeth? Those are also sorta used for the starter.... fyi ;)

Unless you're keen on pushing the car to start it when the engine 'parks' with a flat spot at the starter gear. :wtf:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
034efi is an original, custom developed engine management system, period.

Unless you're planning on getting up and running in the next 2 months, the factory sensors will be up and running no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts