Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the trek once again to Pikes Peak, here are some highlights.

Not as much Audi content, but with the RS200's, Hackl's A2, and of course Peugeot's presence, the event had a very Group B feel to it.

Some shots from Fan Fest, it was hard to get as many pics this year - super crowded.

The morning started with bikes, vintage, electric, and trikes / quads.

Unfortunately, 2 of the three riders that crashed near us went down the mountain in a chopper. One as of writing this still in serious condition.

The cars started with the King, soon to be King of the Hill, and then followed by subsequent classes.

David Hackl's A2 thundering into the Half Way Picnic Area

Just like last year, Jeremy Foley's car went past smoking like a chimney.

'Monster' Tajima's electric went past with screaming sirens and one hell of a whooossshhhh

Here was another electric, before...

How about a battery fire?

And after...

Some Open Wheel Action

The only car with a passenger...

Awesome Subaru 22b Diesel Boxer

Vintage La Carrera Pan Americana Iron

Always a crowd favorite!

It was SO entertaining to hear the locals talk about the 'rookie' 'fench guy' in the Peugeot. He was the first car up the hill, one guy next to me said 'if thats a rookie I can wait to see the Pro's run'. I chuckled and said to him, you won't see another run like that by anyone today.

Seeing the drivers parade down the mountain was cool. All of them had a sense of 'Im very happy to be driving down this b*tch in one piece'

Pat Doran was especially happy to be driving down the hill, his team painstakingly put that car back together after what was rumored to be a race-ending crash in practice.

Hackl is happy with his 6th place in class finish

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
So you spectate from halfway? I've been going up to 16 mile/devils playground but i'm getting tired of being freezing, completely exposed and snowed on.

I'm also bummed that my favorite car from the shop I worked at crashed, I got to work on that thing quite a bit...

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paradox11235 said:
So you spectate from halfway? I've been going up to 16 mile/devils playground but i'm getting tired of being freezing, completely exposed and snowed on.

I'm also bummed that my favorite car from the shop I worked at crashed, I got to work on that thing quite a bit...
Hey Jimmy, technically that was front-to-back Subaru pics ;o}

I really wanted to watch the race from a lower point on the mountain this year. Couple reasons - one of which you mentioned, but last year we were at Georges Corner, which is just above Glen Cove. When they shortened the course we never got to see any of the cars since the race ended below us. The lower you are on the course the more likely you are to see more competitors. Brutal reality is that if they crash, they crash out below and if you're at the top of the hill you have lots of down time. We also had lots of room to take cover from the rain / hail or even sunshine for that matter.

It's too early to tell if I'll make it for a third year in a row - but it would be cool to have a bunch of friends all in one spot.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, I think next year I'll start a thread a couple of weeks before to try to organize something ahead of time and see who might make it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts